Page Turn - Setup?

5029   3   2
177 posts
I'm trying to figure out a good method for creating a magazine with let's say 5 pages, and then be able to open the magazine, and flip through the pages.

I'm not wanting stiff pages, I'm wanting realistic pages that react to the air as they open and close.

Any ideas of where to start with this?

Thanks,

Jim
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
1737 posts
At home with a cold, thought I'd give this a go. Have seen this question come up with different software over the years, the answer is almost always, ‘ugh, just use a FK bone chain and keyframe it, it’ll take all of 5 mins'.

Having never used houdinis joints before nor capture tools, gave it a go, they were all correct. Combine with some cheeky timeshifts to replicate the page a few times, its not half bad.
Edited by mestela - Feb. 2, 2017 22:57:47

Attachments:
page_flip.gif (213.7 KB)
pageflip.hipnc (289.0 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
177 posts
Wow, that's really cool. Thanks!

I was going to try to use FEM, but that's probably more complicated and time consuming.

I guess I know nothing about the capture SOP and how that all works.

I've used bones in C4D and Lightwave, but not Houdini.

It's a cool rig, just trying to grasp how it's set up so I can make it more procedural.

Thanks again!
Edited by reelinspirations - Feb. 3, 2017 00:09:30
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
9 posts
mestela
At home with a cold, thought I'd give this a go. Have seen this question come up with different software over the years, the answer is almost always, ‘ugh, just use a FK bone chain and keyframe it, it’ll take all of 5 mins'.

Having never used houdinis joints before nor capture tools, gave it a go, they were all correct. Combine with some cheeky timeshifts to replicate the page a few times, its not half bad.
Thank you so much !!!!
  • Quick Links