PDG For Unity Help Curve Path and terrain deformation

2345   2   1
7 posts
Having an issue with this course https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/pdg-for-indie-gamedev-section-6-paths-roads/?collection=61 [www.sidefx.com] lesson 7 Path Deformation.

I've followed the tutorial and even had a good look through the the supplied files provided to compare but for the life of me I can't work out why my terrain doesn't deform with the path curve in Unity.
Everything works as intended in Houdini along the hda chain of processors and deforms where there's a path made from a curve.

Unity doesn't give any warnings and everything cooks all green lights. I've made sure to select the path hda and made sure to have it applied in the top hda inside unity.

Earlier on in the course he teaches the use of an area for displacement of the terrain which works with no issues for me. Just the path refuses to deform the terrain.

Generally speaking, if everything works as intended in Houdini, but doesn't so in Unity what is often the cause? Bad pathing? disconnected node, mistyped information? I've been stuck on this for the whole week so I had to finally give in and ask here

Added a pic in Houdini of the curve masking and deforming the terrain to prove I'm not losing my mind lol.

Any help appreciated.
571 posts
Which version of Houdini is this problem occurring in? This will help track down the issue. Also which version of Unity are you using?

I don't see an attached image, so please post it again.

Since you are getting no errors, your issue might be due to cached files, which we added to PDG after release (and after the demo was created). By default, most PDG nodes that generate files (e.g. HDAProcess) will check if the file has already been generated, and will only rerun the cook to generate if the files are not found. This might cause outdated files to be reused. Do a ‘Dirty All’ from the PDGAssetLink interface which should delete the files. Then as a sanity check, look in the output directory to make sure that the files on disk are indeed removed. If not, delete them manually, and cook again. Let me know if this fixes the issue.

So for general problem solving with PDG in Unity, here are a few tips:
-check the console log window in Unity (the plugin will log out errors, but there might be cases that haven't been logged yet)
-check the PDG logs; these are found in your working directory, under pdgtemp/{processid}/logs
-if your node produces bgeo files or outputs, check that they are written out (check timestamp)
-do a Dirty All in Unity to clear out the generated files, then a Cook Output to force them to be written out again (otherwise nodes will reuse generated files if found on disk; see above note)
-if the generated files are created newly, do they load properly? You can load them manually by dropping down a new GameObject in Unity, attaching a HEU_GeoSync script component to it, then pasting in the generated file's path and hitting the Sync button; if it doesn't load properly, send me the bgeo file
-for path issues (most common problem), are you using environment variables? Are they properly set in Unity via the unity_houdini.env file? Do a simple test to make sure the pathing is correct. (https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_environment.html [www.sidefx.com]
-try using a Houdini Engine debugger session to see what is happening in real-time (https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unity/_session.html#Session_Types_DebugSession)
7 posts
Again thanks for the response I had to step away from Houdini and tackle the issue fresh.

Both Unity and Houdini are latest versions updated from the official sites.

Yeah the cooked items I'm aware of. I always manually clean them out of the folder before cooking in Unity or use a different folder.
I did all the checks in your list to no avail so in the end I just copied the tutorial files and incorporated them into mine and it creates the path now albeit with some minor flaws. I probably mis typed a path or plugged in a node the wrong way.

Thanks for help again appreciated.
  • Quick Links