Game dev tools - game dev texture sheets error

2837   8   2
7 posts
I am completely stuck at the moment, I need help figuring out why the gamedev texture sheet function won't do anything, and I am basically a novice, so please dumb down the responses for me where appropriate. It spits out this error:

Error
Error rendering child: /out/rop_texture_sheets1/render_volume

If I follow this error back to its source, I find this error:

Error
Unable to save geometry for: /obj/geo1/file1
SOP Error: Unable to read file “CUsers/aphillips/geo/triangle smoke_2.filecache1.1.bgeo.sc”.
GeometryIO: Unable to open file ‘CUsers/aphillips/geo/triangle smoke_2.filecache1.1.bgeo.sc’
GeometryIO: Unable to open file ‘CUsers/aphillips/geo/triangle smoke_2.filecache1.1.bgeo.sc’

I don't know what any of this means or how to combat it, but I have tried all the mundane things I could think of (relocating my geometry files to another drive in case it was a permissions thing, for example) and it's stopping me from doing my job banging my head off this problem, that seemingly came from nowhere - previously I could render game texture sheets, but then it stopped for some reason and I don't know why. I'm working in houdini fx, if that's important to know

Any help anyone can give me would be great, I've wasted so much time on this already…
394 posts
Hi. Have you tried rendering the volume with a mantra ROP to make sure that the basics are working before using the Texture Sheets ROP?

Mike
7 posts
Hi Mike, thanks for replying.

I have tested it, and it does indeed render just fine via the mantra rop, which makes this extra baffling
394 posts
Is your “Node To Render” set to /obj/geo1/file1? If so, it might fail because it's expecting an object level path - /obj/geo1
7 posts
Nope, it's currently set to /obj/geo1 =/
7 posts
Going to hijack my own thread as I am seemingly having endless problems with the simplest things. I recently made a new pyro simulation, cached it all out, and then ran the texture sheet rop again. And while it actually does work in that it will render out sheets for me, the packed texture sheet comes out looking like abstract art… any idea why this is?

Attachments:
broken sheet.jpg (403.7 KB)

7 posts
No one have any thoughts? I really need help on this…
394 posts
Can you upload a hip file?
7 posts
Hope this isn't thread necromancy, but I wanted to update with how the problem was resolved, for people who have a similar problem with the texture sheet rop not behaving.

It turns out that because my sim was starting at a frame other than 0, it was causing the rop to wig out and not behave. a timeshift node fixed that problem, thanks Mike, and houdini support people
  • Quick Links