More info about Karma?

8713   15   4
5 posts
where is it? i want to know about it.

thanks sidefx for being so awesome.
833 posts
H18, coming later this year, CPU based renderer with a highly responsive IPR similar to Arnold. I believe the backbone is utilizing Pixar's Hydra. No GPU (yet), but should be considerably faster and more responsive than Mantra. Same materials pipeline as Mantra.

I think that's all we know for now. I assume an H18 release in the Fall similar to the H17 release last year.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
5 posts
Midphase
H18, coming later this year, CPU based renderer with a highly responsive IPR similar to Arnold. I believe the backbone is utilizing Pixar's Hydra. No GPU (yet), but should be considerably faster and more responsive than Mantra. Same materials pipeline as Mantra.

I think that's all we know for now. I assume an H18 release in the Fall similar to the H17 release last year.

pixar Hydra inside houdini?

that sounds cool!

But, is there any documentation about it?
833 posts
Not yet, just the video from the Houdini Hive which talks a bit about it.
>>Kays
Staff
5156 posts
There probably won't be any documentation about it until H18 is released. However, if you want documentation on USD/Hydra, Pixar has quite a bit (more on the former than the latter though): Pixar USD Docs [graphics.pixar.com]
146 posts
There have been some comments coming from the support staff indicating Karma may not be available for Indie users, only for Core and FX licenses. Is there any information about that?
833 posts
Where did you read that?
>>Kays
146 posts
Midphase
Where did you read that?
On the Renderman Discord, some guy asked directly about that to Sidefx support and the answer was
With regards to the new Karma renderer, we have not yet decided if it will be available for Houdini Indie licenses. It may be an option only for the full commercial Houdini FX and Core licenses.
636 posts
jarenas
Midphase
Where did you read that?
On the Renderman Discord, some guy asked directly about that to Sidefx support and the answer was
With regards to the new Karma renderer, we have not yet decided if it will be available for Houdini Indie licenses. It may be an option only for the full commercial Houdini FX and Core licenses.

hope they will add it, what could be a challenge is when the scene file is readable then the render limitation inside indie could be a bigger problem to limiting for SESI. maybe they can find a good solution.
149 posts
just want to state if karma is excluded from indie this user will be very disappointed, perhaps an indie karma license if they don't want to include directly into indie? I won't be able to use if only available to fx user.
Staff
635 posts
elgordostudio
just want to state if karma is excluded from indie this user will be very disappointed, perhaps an indie karma license if they don't want to include directly into indie? I won't be able to use if only available to fx user.

Karma will be available to everyone: commercial, indie and apprentice. This was always the case; never intended or stated or implied otherwise.

Cristin Barghiel
Head of R&D
SideFX
149 posts
cb
elgordostudio

Karma will be available to everyone: commercial, indie and apprentice. This was always the case; never intended or stated or implied otherwise.

Cristin Barghiel
Head of R&D
SideFX

wonderful, thank you!
looking forward to trying it out
Edited by electricalpencil - Sept. 6, 2019 12:14:13
4189 posts
Can we please have the non-commerical version of Karma render to HD 1920x1080. That would match with Nuke non-commercial etc.

All commercials productions are essentially now being work on at 2k to 4k and the current 1080x720 isn't really cutting anymore.

Thanks for considering!
Staff
5156 posts
goat
Can we please have the non-commerical version of Karma render to HD 1920x1080. That would match with Nuke non-commercial etc.

All commercials productions are essentially now being work on at 2k to 4k and the current 1080x720 isn't really cutting anymore.

Thanks for considering!

ApprenticeHD has a resolution limitation of 4k x 4k (or a product thereof - 8k by 2k is fine). The free non-commercial version is 720p (1280x720).
4189 posts
I think that comes to about a $1 per 5000 pixels - would be great to be able to pro rata it
Staff
5156 posts
goat
I think that comes to about a $1 per 5000 pixels - would be great to be able to pro rata it

I'm guessing you'll probably render more than 1 image a year though. Otherwise we really need to look at your shader complexity
  • Quick Links