How to correctly use ROP Alembic

3311   3   1
15 posts
I'm testing some setups to automate some vellum sim jobs where I load different type of collision objects coming from shots,process them and then write out the result per shot to alembic. The first bit is working fine as expected where I load in the collision objects with a file pattern, in this example I have 3 objects. Then I use the Rop Geometry to process them for 150 frames, creating a total of 450 work items. I then partition them based on the original object so I got 3 work items again. This is what I feed in to the Rop Alembic. This is where I can't get it to work and it's probably my lack of knowledge of PDG. What is the correct way of using the Rop Alembic in this case. I tried looking at the examples but that only handles single frame alembics.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

Edited by ralphymeijer - Sept. 9, 2019 17:08:11

Attachments:
screenshot.png (38.7 KB)
screenshot2.png (61.2 KB)

544 posts
The ropalembic would expect regular workitems and not a partition as input. Try to put the ropalembic just above the partition by attribute. Turn on “all frames in one batch”, and leave the partitioning to later?
Edited by kenxu - Sept. 11, 2019 17:32:32
- Ken Xu
15 posts
Thanks for your reply!

I expected that since it sort of worked when I tried that before. However is there a way to sort the workitems based on for example an attribute. Now the workitems are sorted the following: box.0001.bgeo, sphere.0001.bgeo, torus.0001.bgeo, box.0002.bgeo, sphere.0002.bgeo etc. It would be handy if I could sort them box.0001.bgeo, box.0002.bgeo, sphere.0001.bgeo, sphere.0002.bgeo etc. That way I can still split them in the wanted files based on the frame range.
15 posts
Never mind I found the sort node. Thank you very much for your help! I think I figured it out.
  • Quick Links