Landscape generation brutally slow

2245   2   0
13 posts
Hi,

I'm finding that ferrying Landscape data from the HDA into Unreal is incredibly slow, eg. a parameter change on one of my test landscapes locks up Unreal for 4-5 minutes – where the operation in Houdini runs at ~15Hz. Can anybody offer any tips for getting the Unreal workflow to be more performant? Is this the expected behaviour or is there something wrong with my workflow?

In the HDA, I'm generating a heightfield from a png, ingesting a static mesh via world outliner from Unreal and displacing the heightfield by the ingested mesh. Nothing fancy.

thanks,
Brett
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Would you be able to share your HDA with us? How big is the landscape you're creating?

Unless you're changing the landscape resolution (in which case UE4 would need to recreate a new landscape from scratch), the plugin should just be updating the landscape's data, which should be a lot faster.
(even if creating a new landscape, going through the plugin shouldnt take 4/5 minutes)

I tried with a similar setup, wrapping an HF_project in an HDA to modify an existing landscape in unreal with meshes selected in a world input, and the update time on the unreal side in ~1s (and that's on a debug version of UE4 and the plugin which would be a lot slower).
13 posts
Hi,

I'm generating a 2k heightfield so it should really be too bad I think. I've attached the hda.

The idea is that you provide a png with height data.
You can optionally add static meshes for depressing, raising, or punching holes in the landscape.

thanks,
Brett

Attachments:
landscape_editor.hda (22.3 KB)

• Quick Links