linear workflow

1502   5   1
32 posts
hello. how can i switch rendering to linear workflow? i have set up a scene from maya. in the edit->color settings and display options gamma is set to 2,2, but the rendering looks different from what i have in maya. and i can't find where else i can change the mode for the rendered image.
7741 posts
Houdini is in a linear workflow by default. You don't need to do anything to change to linear light. The viewing space is gamma 2.2 for the render and scene views. Depending on your texture sources, the texture reads can possibly mis-identify the source space, and either double linearize a texture that was already in linear space or not linearize a texture in gamma space that needs linearization.

Its hard to say why an image may differ from a one rendered in maya, it could be a number of different discrepancies. How are you recreating the scene in Houdini?
32 posts
thank you for your answer. there are no textures in the scene. i'm setting th lighting up. the images differ in the shadows depth. in houdini the scene is overall lighter.
806 posts
Moin,

“linear workflow” is probably a misnomer in what you describe … you would have to use the same render engine, the same lighting values (i.e. the same lighting model to begin with), the same settings on the renderer … in order to get the same output.

One thing you may want to check is whether your “color correction” in Mantra's display is set to 2.2 or not (see attached screenshot).

Marc

Attachments:
Unbenannt.JPG (67.6 KB)

---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
32 posts
hello. thank you it is set to 2.2.
806 posts
mickhah
hello. thank you it is set to 2.2.

… so you do not have a linear workflow there At least *that* bit was easy to figure out …

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
  • Quick Links