Unity prefab support

1113   1   0
1 posts
We're looking at using Houdini with Unity. From my initial tests and reading can you confirm if this is correct?

1. The Unity upstream path is for models (and materials) only. So this is a way to get asset store assets into Houdini, although it will lose components and setup other than models and materials.

2. I can drag .hda assets into the scene, update them in Houdini then use Recook Asset and it won't lose additional work I make to the object.

3. If I drag the .hda into the scene, then back to the project view, Houdini throws a Null Reference exception. If drag that prefab back into the scene, the Houdini data was lost (due to the Null Reference exception presumably). This means that I can only recook scene assets, not prefabs

3. There's no path from baked prefab back to Houdini without losing any additional work. “Bake Update” with my baked prefab in the “Drag & drop GameObjects / Prefabs” input will essentially recreate that prefab with the same ID, so the objects will still be referenced in my scene, but I would lose any components I added to it.
20 posts
I would like to add that adding prefab support would greatly benefit the new prefab workflow with nested prefabs: having the ability to store an HDA and all its parameter within a prefab to easily generate it again, even within nested prefabs or using variants would be a huge plus.

Right now the fact that Houdini creates and destroys child objects prevents this from working.
  • Quick Links