Vellum cloth simulation that sticks after tearing.

2857   3   1
5 posts
Dear fellow technical directors,

I'm trying to create a vellum simulation in which a wall turns into cloth and a person starts tearing through it. After many hours of fiddling around with the vellum SOP solvers, I have managed to get a simulation of the wall tearing apart that I'm pretty happy about. However, the end goal is to have some pieces attached to the body after it has torn through the wall. After looking around on the internet I discovered the fact that you can animate the activation of a vellum constraint from within the SOP solver itself. I have tried this with both “glue” and “attach to geometry” constraints, but they both don't seem to be doing anything when animated on activation. Could anyone perhaps give some advice on the best way to achieve this effect?

I have attached my .hipfile below and the .abcfile for the animation can be downloaded from the follow link:
dowload animation archive [we.tl]

Many thanks in advance.
Edited by bkamphues - March 6, 2020 10:41:31

Attachments:
fish_cloth_tests_v011_001_forum.hipnc (1.4 MB)

555 posts
sheeeeeeesh….you could have warned us about a 1.9Gb download….

just some general points:

- the planarpatch comes with left/right/top/bottom seam groups, use them and forget about manually setting your own groups

- your scene geos are far too heavy for testing purposes…sure you may have a super 1000 core machine…not too many ppl do. The collider is far too heavy, so is the planar patch

- use an extremely basic test file to iron out your problems…

here's my basic test, the ‘sticky period’ is inside the solver, after that period, no more sticky constraints are created…but what already stuck will continue to stick.

Attachments:
StickyWalker.gif (1.0 MB)
vu_StickyWalker.hiplc (710.5 KB)

555 posts
Wall version.

Attachments:
StickWall.gif (6.0 MB)

5 posts
vusta
sheeeeeeesh….you could have warned us about a 1.9Gb download….
just some general points:
- the planarpatch comes with left/right/top/bottom seam groups, use them and forget about manually setting your own groups
- your scene geos are far too heavy for testing purposes…sure you may have a super 1000 core machine…not too many ppl do. The collider is far too heavy, so is the planar patch
- use an extremely basic test file to iron out your problems…
here's my basic test, the ‘sticky period’ is inside the solver, after that period, no more sticky constraints are created…but what already stuck will continue to stick.

First of all, thank you very much for answering! It was indeed a very large scene. I'll try to keep the optimization in mind for my next project! I managed to recreate the stickiness though slightly different. I still needed the weld constraint for the stretchy tearing look, but the “attach to geometry” node inside the solver works perfectly!
  • Quick Links