Real-time sound variation

4013   3   2
12 posts
I´m feeding a constant (that varies according to the mouse possition) to the first input of an oscillator. The wave reacts OK in its graphical representation when I move the mouse, but no sound is heard during playback. (I´m trying to get real-time sound variation with a mouse)
Does anyone has an idea on how to do that or any example file in real-time sound variation in Houdini?
537 posts
I'm guessing that the audio preview seems to do some internal caching before it sends it to the sound card etc.

The mouse definately effects the pitch, and I can hear the starting frequency, but the pitch doesn't change once it starts playing, the sound wav doesn't change either on the little wave form on the time line.

The most I got it to do was spit out the current loop when the chop is set to “on” which only updates on the change, here it is though

Attachments:
mousyPitch.zip (6.1 KB)

12 posts
I managed to get a pitch/volume configuration… try using it with your drawing tablet and you have a theremin! :wink:

There are some things I need to fix, but I´ll post the hip when finished… thanks andrew!

EDIT: I couldn´t manage to complete the hip, got sidetracked with other projects… It would need an echo setting and something to make the sound “flow” instead of being a lot of cutted sequences to achieve the spooky “theremin” feel but this is above my actual chops knowledge
124 posts
Actually whe you have the test option selected on the Audio Panel there is a loop button just to the right of the Play button. When this is selected it will play continously.
David Robert from SESI has done some very cool things with audio in CHOPs so I know it is quite powerful but I have very little experience yet. On the to-do list.
  • Quick Links