Redshift or Vray

8385   6   1
46 posts
hi,
we are small architecture studio and add recently implemented Houdini in our daily design workflow. We are everyday ammazed with the design capabilities of Houdini after working for many years with many different 3d softwares.
Time is now to choose for rendering engine. We use to work with Vray for architecture software doing a lot of CPU rendering and recently more and more GPU.
We know a bit of redshift as we are currently testing demo version since a few weeks. We didn't have the opportunity to test Vray in Houdini.

Right now I am hesitating in between Vray and Redhift.
I am hesitating because Vray implementation is very recent - abit more than 8 months if I am not wrong, although it seems pretty decent in term of performance compare to Redshift from what i saw on a few benchmarks. It is also CPU and GPU.
On the other hand I know that Redshift is used by a lot of Houdini users since a long time because of its speed performance and is on the market since a longer time. but Redshift is only GPU.

I often read that GPU is always used at first stage of a project but then for the final rendering people move to CPU. And from our experience and although GPU is faster we had less issues with CPU.

We are not expert in FX yet and we are still in a learning process in term of adapting and making our workflow more efficient.

I know there is tons of discussions about what is the best ‘engine’ for houdini and I can clearly see it depends of each studio way of working. But I was thinking that maybe one of you guys has been in a similar situation and could give a bit of input to help us decide.

Thanks
41 posts
Try search on youtube houdini render compare,And watch's… Vray for market,If you working In ArchiViz.
833 posts
I think you're probably good with either choice. I think Vray looks more realistic (so does Arnold and Octane), but Redshift is close enough and you can narrow the gap with some post production.

You might also consider 3Delight which is what I started using and I believe it's one of the best kept secrets around. It offers the speed of GPU rendering with the realism and ability to handle much larger scenes of CPU renderers. Best of all the integration with their cloud rendering service is second to none.

3Delight [www.3delight.com]
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
41 posts
I have been experinced with Vray in max And maya,I never usign Redshift required Hardware GPU,I'm new Houdini user And want try Arnold ,Frankly I like Vray but in Linux OS I can' find't ,So I choice Htoa.
833 posts
There are pros and cons to GPU renderers, I would advise that you download and try the RS demo to see if it works for your needs.
>>Kays
41 posts
When I buy Nvidia RTX 3080,I feel Redshift need High Performance Hardware.In this case I'm user CPU.
Edited by anon_user_35845555 - May 24, 2020 09:03:52
833 posts
Not sure I quite understood all of what you just typed, but I was running RS on a dual 1080ti and getting pretty decent performance out of it if that helps.

There are limits to what GPU renders can do inherent to the technology itself, and in several cases the speed of the GPU renderer can actually be slower than its CPU counterpart.

As I said, you should download the demo and try it out to see if it fits your needs.
>>Kays
  • Quick Links