Using Mask Input in Particle Fluid Surface

4509   3   0
10 posts
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to use the mask input option to smooth a part of the mesh inside the particle fluid surface node?

I want to specify with a volume (ie. a bounding box) which part of the mesh to smooth or keep (instead of using the velocity or vorticity mask).

I created the volume to mask with (just a box turned to vdb) as a separate OBJ, I am then object merging it and connecting it to the third input of the fluid surface node, then in the filtering tab in mask input I check it and put in the name of the volume. I have tried to do several different things on the volume itself (regular VDB, Fog VFB, etc.) and nothing seems to work or make any difference. When I turn visualize mask on all it shows is nothing is applied to it (ie. all of the surface has 0 smoothing applied to it)

How do I properly use this feature and get the node to recognize the mask? Am I going about this the right way?

Many thanks,
92 posts
here's a quick example. the mask to the vdb smooth is intended to a 0-1 scalar vdb for where you want the filter applied.

unfortunately, they hide away the filter width parameter, so I had to crack open the tool to get a more aggressive smooth.

In practice, our artists prefer working with the vdb tools directly, as the one-size-fits-all approach of the particlefluidsurface tool is often very difficult to work with.

i hope that helps!
-jeff

Attachments:
tmp.jpg (109.8 KB)
mask_filter.hip (754.5 KB)

2 posts
Thank you so much!!!!

This is from years ago but it still works. I was having lots of flickering around the edges of my surface and using this method helped I was trying to use the Particle Fluid Surface Mask out of the box and was useless Thanks!
9 posts
I second this. Masking smoothing, masking erodes, masking dilates... just brilliant.

Kijas
Thank you so much!!!!

This is from years ago but it still works. I was having lots of flickering around the edges of my surface and using this method helped I was trying to use the Particle Fluid Surface Mask out of the box and was useless Thanks!
  • Quick Links