OpenGL Refraction?

3901   7   1
7 posts
Is it actually possible to visualise glass refraction with OpenGL in the viewport?
21 posts
Almost positive it's not. I think you'd need one of those RTX cards with raytracing to accomplish real-time refraction.
7 posts
Don't want to believe that, maybe with a custom GLSL shader? It's so simple in Unreal Engine …
7737 posts
frdf
Don't want to believe that, maybe with a custom GLSL shader? It's so simple in Unreal Engine …

It's not possible without multipass rendering, i.e. not gonna happen in Houdini GL
833 posts
Blender EEVEE can do it.

Come on guys, it's 2020….this stuff should be easy to implement!

>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
7 posts
Yeah, EEVEE for Houdini would be awesome.
In the 18.5 presentation I saw a few OpenGL improvements which gives me some hope …
833 posts
I watched the 18.5 presentation as well and it doesn't even seem close when it comes to the Viewport/OpenGL stuff. I think this would all be somewhat mitigated if Karma functioned as an IPR within the OBJ context instead of requiring to go into the Solaris context which, even a year later and with the new updates, still seems like a clunky implementation and one that many artists look at while scratching their heads.

Sorry for sounding a bit negative, but overall I found the 18.5 presentation to be quite disappointing in several ways.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
73 posts
frdf - are you on a mac? You probably know that the GL viewport on macs with AMD GPUs is still stuck in the dark ages. I doubt they would be getting any of the new viewport GL features announced in 18.5, let alone any of the fancy realtime GPU effects that games use.
  • Quick Links