PDG examle

3233   7   1
31 posts
Is it possible to get an example somewhere how to use pdg properly in combination with unreal engine?
31 posts
Kenny Lammers video on PDG in unity translates very well.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/pdg-for-indie-gamedev-section-3-creating-terrains/ [www.sidefx.com]
Houdini Technical Artist @ Sharkmob
30 posts
Is there any documentation for Unreal? My problem is that the PDG window doesn't appear. And I'm already in Chapter 3 of his tutorial So, I have my TOP Network etc.
31 posts
We've found that https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal-v2/wiki/What [github.com]'s-new-%3F has the most up to date information regarding the new features for Engine in Unreal.

That said, you should get the PDG controls from just having a TOP network in you HDA.

Send your HIP if you can't make it work.
30 posts
valdomat
We've found that https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal-v2/wiki/What [github.com]'s-new-%3F has the most up to date information regarding the new features for Engine in Unreal.

That said, you should get the PDG controls from just having a TOP network in you HDA.

Send your HIP if you can't make it work.

Thanks Valdomat,

If you mean “just need a TOP network in your HDA” I'm kind of confused. MY TOP network is just doing the processing for the terrain and the terrain is what I place in Unreal. I don't have a TOP network in my HDA because of this.

1. HIP File attached
2. screenshot of Unreal

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments:
2020-10-29_12-22-37.png (1.4 MB)
PDG_TOP_Test.hiplc (437.8 KB)

31 posts
I'm not sure what you mean. I assume you're following the tutorial based on the image. Your PDG/TOPS-HDA is the backbone of the whole process. That terrain layout you show in the image should be input to the PDG. In the tutorial he does it as a file input, but there's more elegant ways to do it. Then that geo works as the input to a HDA processor in the PDG network, and the HDA specified creates a heightfield out of it. Then you'd continue working with the new data. The next HDA might be a setup to scatter foliage, so the scatter HDA have the output of the heightfield-HDA, as input. And so on.

What does you PDG-HDA look like in unreal? When you get it working, and you want something to output in unreal, you need to add HE_OUT_ as a prefix
Edited by valdomat - Nov. 5, 2020 03:26:02
30 posts
Yes, I followed Indie Pixels Tutorial. That's why I'm wondering why it doesn't work Hope Simon will release it's Unreal Tutorial soonish.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

The PDG Asset Link is automatically created when you instantiate an HDA that contains a TOP Network.
The PDG AL will expose all the available top networks in the HDA, and also expose node that matches the filter (by default HE_).
Outputs for nodes that matches the output filter (default, HE_OUT_) will automatically be loaded in Unreal upon successful cooking.

I had a look at your Hip file, and if I understand it correctly, your HDA doesn't contain a TOP Net, so you will not be getting the PDG AL in Unreal.
Your HDA seem to loading the pdg outputs via file, you should instead move the TOP net IN the HDA.

Simon's tutorial will be available in the near future, but Kenny's original tutorial should translate well to unreal.
  • Quick Links