Hda procedural broken wall using UE4 meshes, help getting st

692   0   1
5 posts
Pretty new to Houdini. Have been following some decent paid learning material and am getting the hang of the basics.

I am really interested in methods of allowing hdas to be modified in UE4 by hooking them up to meshes in UE4.

I am okay with creating hdas but am not sure which direction to look into to start working out which nodes I would need and good approaches to my goal.

I would like to create a very simple brick wall. This will just be a really simple rectangle with prb brick texture.

I would like to be able to cut chunks out of the wall procedurally in UE4 simply by interesting meshes. Ideally I would like to

1. Allow any number of meshes to be used to cut through the had asset.

Be able to cut holes anywhere. So for instance I might male some jagged cuts along the top of the wall to make it broken or cut a hole in the middle of the wall to allow a way through. This could be broken bricks, a door etc.

2. I will need the area I have cut out to have faces filled in. For example at the top of a wall where I have cut with a jagged mesh the to give a broken appearances I need the hole filled with new faces.

Secondarily to this I need those faces to be assigned a different material to the rest of the geo so that I can give it a broken wall texture.

3. The collision maps might need to be automatically generated, or at least this sounds like a good idea on paper.

I am of course not expecting a detailed explanation of exactly how to pulp this off, but any existing tutorials, the main nodes required, some general pointers and so on would be much appreciated.

Cheers
  • Quick Links