What's the best workflow for terrain's waterlayer in UE4?

1659   1   0
52 posts
Hi all
First post
I am learning the terrain part of houdini and how to implement it in UE4.
I was curious to understand what are people's workflow to implement the water layer from the erosion node in the Unreal scene in the best/most realistic way, especially now that UE4.26 has a water system.
I can export the water layer to UE4 as a mask and apply a water material on it, but it would be very static I guess, without a flow map being generated. Is this the best way to create rivers and lakes using the Houdini terrain tools? Would anyone be up to share a bit of their knowledge and experience on the subject?
Thanks
Paolo
5 posts
My current solution for a very very complicated terrain requirements:

* Instant Terra for base 64km x 64km terrain generation
* Further editing this terrain in Houdini for base input into UE4
* Bring Houdini terrain with HDA to UE4
* Add water features only using UE4.26 water system, water features will also add new terrain layers like freshwater etc. DO NOT USE Houdini for water features as it would be too slow for real-time editing and vis-dev.
* Additional mid-level HDAs to further edit UE4 terrain (Procedurally generate NPC spawns, procedurally generate foliage etc.)

So in essence you will need to use multiple HDAs, but water can be definitely implemented this way. It is a much faster/better solution than generating water features in Houdini.
Edited by volkan-ozdemir - Dec. 24, 2020 16:28:39
  • Quick Links