Difficulty with KineFX's Realistic Shoulder VOP

2000   4   1
3 posts
Hello
I've been used to rigging my own shoulders with whatever math I can pull off the Internet. But since playing around with KineFX I noticed a "Realistic Shoulder" node inside the Rig Attribute VOP and figured it would be a major improvement.

However, after several hours of playing with the node, I can see some potential but it keeps flipping my shoulder into not very realistic transformations. Here I've created a simple example with:

• A skeleton, built from the front view and the elbow pushed back.
  • A Rig Attribute VOP with a Realistic Shoulder node inside and the points hooked up (Attached image of the setup).
  • A Rig Pose node to control the first input of the VOP.

You can notice in the video attached that the resulting shoulder rotates in strange circles when I move the arm up and down.
Has anyone else experienced this before and maybe found a solution? Am I mistaking the setup?

In some of my other attempts at creating the Realistic Shoulder setup, I've noticed varied types of weird rotations. But they've been consistently weird for me.

Thanks so much!
Edited by James Foxes - Jan. 29, 2021 12:26:48

Attachments:
RealisticShoulder.png (696.5 KB)
RealisticShoulderFlip.mp4 (5.0 MB)

Staff
50 posts
Hello!

I took a quick look and the first thing worth mentioning is that if you have the realisticshoulder set to Active, you don't have to set the transforms on the joints using the setpointtransform - the VOP will take care of this inside.
As for the weird rotations, something seems indeed to be behaving in a wrong way within the VOP. I will work on a fix for this as soon as possible.
Thank you for the post!

Cheers,
Mihnea
3 posts
Thank you so much!

And thanks for the tip about not needing to set the transforms too
Staff
50 posts
Hi!

I commited a fix for this issue. You should be able to find in tomorrow's daily build.
Thank you for signaling it!

Cheers,
Mihnea
3 posts
That's awesome! I'm excited to see how it looks, tomorrow!
  • Quick Links