1793   4   0
4 posts
Hi,
my pc has the following specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
16GB RAM
SSD
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 3GB

So this means it's not fulfilling the system requirements for Houdini, specifically the 4GB VRAM. I have Apprentice installed and see that it runs, however I did not do any intensive testing. My question is now....why is 4GB VRAM the minimum required? Is it mainly due to the simulations? Would just modeling/animating still be possible?
My use case is creating assets/levels for games. All is stylized, so no hyper realistic stuff at all. I need to model my game assets, rig and animate them, and possibly want to take advantage of houdini engine in unity3d. I am not planning to do any of the compelx simulation/VFX stuff.
I am very interested in buying houdini indie, because over the last few years it seems it has really developed into a package that could be used as a one stop solution when it comes to creating game assets.
So i guess my question is: Does it make sense to get houdini with only 3GB of VRAM, for my use case? Are there others with a similar machine? How wel ldoes it work for you?
856 posts
I think it's ok. You might have to give up some fancy viewport stuff and opencl in sims but it'll be fine to work.
--
Jobless
250 posts
The 4 GB of VRAM is the minimum required for 4K display, if you run your display at say 1080p or less, 3GB is enough!

https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements [www.sidefx.com]
4 posts
Thanks! Indeed I run on 1080p, so I guess I will invest some time in learning then:-).
Is there a good training series on how to autorig a simple character, animate it and bring it into unity?
250 posts
andi_s
Thanks! Indeed I run on 1080p, so I guess I will invest some time in learning then:-).
Is there a good training series on how to autorig a simple character, animate it and bring it into unity?
There are some rigging tutorials on the SideFX YouTube channel, as for Unity, might be easier to find a Unity specific tutorial, but beware that apprentice only exports obj files, not FBX!

https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by GCharb - Oct. 21, 2021 12:27:41
  • Quick Links