Rendering Pyro with Karma XPU

6679   6   1
11 posts
Has anyone had any success rendering a pyro sim with the XPU PyroPreview shader and XPU? I'm completely new to Karma both CPU and the new XPU. I'm rendering a pyro sim just fine using CPU and the standard pyro shader, but when I add the Pyro Preview shader and switch to XPU, the volume just disappears from my scene.
Ryzen 9 5950x - RTX A5000 - 64GB RAM
Staff
186 posts
You have to make sure to pass in vdb volumes to lops.

One way to do it: pyrosolver->Quick Setups->Optimize Exports

or just simply turn on Convert to vdb on the Export tab of the pyrosolver
11 posts
Brilliant, thank you so much! It's lightning fast compared to Karma CPU.
Ryzen 9 5950x - RTX A5000 - 64GB RAM
4 posts
ati
Convert to vdb
Hi,
i'm stuck rendering volume with xpu.... does it work in apprentiece version?
Do i need some specific driver?
When i turn to xpu, the pyro renders only gray volume...
4 posts
I really don't get it... i'm not the only one with this problem, but i'm the only one that can't make it work with the Convert to vdb option?

edit:
ok i got it know, i need to use the xpu pyro preview. is there a way to link the pyro solver to the xpu pyro marerial?
the regular pyro shader is't a little bit different... i can't find the gradient for example...

I'm a total noob to pyro rendering.
Edited by gfxmobile - Nov. 11, 2021 17:55:33
8 posts
I'm reading this and I'm a little confused. I am trying to render a spreading fire in Karma XBU and it shows up in the Karama Viewer but *not* in the render. I did find the simple pyro shelf and tried the spreading fire...I can see it in the viewport...I went through the instructions in the recent hive video...I could see it in the regular karma but not the gpu based version
4 posts
sarrett
I'm reading this and I'm a little confused. I am trying to render a spreading fire in Karma XBU and it shows up in the Karama Viewer but *not* in the render. I did find the simple pyro shelf and tried the spreading fire...I can see it in the viewport...I went through the instructions in the recent hive video...I could see it in the regular karma but not the gpu based version

First thing to do, click on convert to vdb must be on in the pyro solver. You’ll start to see a grey volumes

Then you have to change material to the new xpu pyro shader, you’ll loose connection to viewport and pyro shading parameter but you can quickly resemble the original one.

It’s not very well explained nowhere in the docs, I found it in a video from side fx on you tube.
Edited by gfxmobile - Nov. 22, 2021 22:58:36
  • Quick Links