Snow compression

1246   5   0
13 posts
Hello.
I've been playing with vellum grains. I would like to make footprints in snow. i Got something which looks decent. My big problem though is that i'm lacking the compression/packing of the snow. How is this achievable ?
I've tried with scaling the particles the foot touches. I've tried the pressure constraint and a bunch of other stuff. Is it even doable to compress/pack snow/grains?

Thanks in advance!
Kasper
13 posts
So i've done some small tests. And what i realize is that if i mash my grains togeather in a container. Then when i release the pressure from the mashing. The particles will expand to their starting position. I would like them to keep their mashed posistion
What am i missing here ?
Edited by korfits - Jan. 4, 2022 04:18:11

Attachments:
Grains_pressure.mp4 (2.1 MB)

133 posts
Hello - See the attached as a starter-for-ten.
Ill just caveat by saying i'm pretty new to Vellum, so found this an interesting problem to have a crack at.
Whilst this works it does feel a bit hacky and so someone might be able to suggest a more elegant solution
Edited by Hatchery - Jan. 4, 2022 12:47:57

Attachments:
Test.hiplc (620.0 KB)

Love Houdini
133 posts
And here is a bit of an adaptation on how it could work with multiple compression objects like you'd need or footsteps.
Again feels quite hacky

Attachments:
TestMultiple.hiplc (648.1 KB)

Love Houdini
13 posts
It's a really nice idea with the stopped attribute. There is one thing that makes it wrong though. When your collision object stamps down. The particles around gets displaced to the side ( as seen in the movie below). If you look at footprints in snow. it's only the snow that is getting stamped is getting compressed/moved. Not displaced to the sides
so i don't know if it better to delete the particles instead ? this would atleast eliminate that problem.
Edited by korfits - Jan. 5, 2022 04:06:46

Attachments:
Compression_stopped_test.mp4 (7.6 MB)

133 posts
Try adding more jitter to the points before it sims, it was way more stable when I was playing with is and I didnt get that level of side displacement.
Love Houdini
  • Quick Links