C# Reference Implementation

14618   8   3
603 posts
I was pleasantly surprised that there are C# bindings for Houdini Engine (thanks Unity!).

I've installed the Unity plugin on my laptop.

Can anyone offer any guidance on getting started with Houdini Engine under C#?

Thanks.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
603 posts
To anyone following along…the entry point into HAPI is the HoudiniHostLinker.cs class.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
402 posts
I keep meaning to extract our C# bindings from the Unity plugin and offer them standalone. Might be worth submitting an RFE to support@sidefx.com to bump up the priority a bit.

Otherwise, yes, you'll want to use HoudiniHostLinker.cs and HoudiniCommon.cs. They should be pretty much standalone from the rest of the Unity project. HoudiniHostWrappers.cs might also be useful if you want automatic result code error checking but that might need more work getting it free from other Unity plugin dependencies.
38 posts
Did this ever get done, and @Daryl Dunlap - How did you get on?
571 posts
We'll be extracting the HAPI C# imports from the Unity plugin and making them available as standalone module soon. Will update this thread when that has been done.
Edited by seelan - April 3, 2019 13:31:48
38 posts
Thanks!
38 posts
Btw what are the licensing implications of integrating this with other software?
571 posts
The C# binding is to HAPI, and HAPI uses Houdini Engine. Therefore, it would be the Houdini Engine licensing.
4 posts
Is a standalone C# API module available anywhere? I am a C# dev just starting with Houdini.
  • Quick Links