Mantra starting too slowly

916   2   1
59 posts
Hi guys,

We're having some pain with Mantra startup times. 50 sec for even scenes with a single primitive in them seems strange. Even when ramping up the verbosity level, there's a 'Generating scene' step before any log gets generated, that is taking almost all that time. I've been talking to support, and when trying without our HDA paths (on the network, and there's a couple dozen HDAs) time went down to 20s but still seems too much, and it's not obvious how to solve it - make all the HDAs local?
Anyways, if there's more ideas, would be great to know! Something with the license server on the network also maybe?

Thanks!
33 posts
Are you running with any plugins/shelves - Shotgun, in particular? At my current gig, I've noticed that Shotgun integration slows down not only Houdini start-up times, but also just firing off a render in the Render View. Why Shotgun needs to be consulted every time I do a local render, I have no idea.

If you're able, try starting Houdini "plain" - i.e. from a shell, without whatever wrappers or launchers load up the extra plugins, and see if that fixes it.
59 posts
With a plain Houdini it takes 20s to start a render with a single primitive and light in - still way too long. Not sure if it's Shotgrid or the extra HDAs and plugins that we load when launching from it - it's a good thing to test next, but if we can make the plain one start quick first, that would be great

Thanks!
  • Quick Links