opengl render in background?

9360   7   2
9 posts
Is there a way to do an opengl render in the background (so you can keep working)?
56 posts
Hello mate,
I'm wondering if the OpenGL Renderer ROP would work for you?

Alvin
9 posts
I'm using the openGL rop, but I'd like it to run in the background so I can keep working… right now when it renders I can't do anything until it's finished.
Staff
5161 posts
Most of the work done during the render is cooking the geometry for the scene, which can't be done in the background. The GL render itself takes almost no time on modern hardware, unlike using a software renderer. So there is really no point in backgrounding the render part of the process.
345 posts
twod
…So there is really no point in backgrounding the render part of the process.

I agree, but sometimes it would be better to make use out of 50% processor power and carry on with the scene. Several times I've come up to the situation where I had to send long shots every couple of minutes, and belive me such frequent brakes is not very productive workflow

cheers
kuba
Staff
5161 posts
I agree it's inconvenient, but there's really no solution for it in the near future as technically it's very difficult to do. Sorry.
9 posts
Fair enough… on a related note, is there a way to get textures to show up when using the opengl rop? Flipbooks show the textures, but the opengl rop doesn't seem to

twod
I agree it's inconvenient, but there's really no solution for it in the near future as technically it's very difficult to do. Sorry.
321 posts
twod
Would this not work if run via hscript?
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com