OpenCL Exception: clSetKernelArg (-49)

1903   8   2
96 posts
I'm getting this error with a scene set up in 19.5.303 when I run it with a different Houdini version on another PC. In my case 19.5.368. It's a Vellum sim and the responsible node for the error seems to be the Vellum constraint one when set to pressure. The cloth constraint seems to work just fine. Both PC seem to up to date concerning the GPU driver.

Anybody else running into this problem? Any way to fix this? Bit annoying since I prepared this scene for my students who are running into the same problem now. : (

Cheers
Tom
96 posts
Switch to CPU in the Preferences for OpenCL doesn't solve it, but throws another Device error and then even cloth constraint's don't work anymore.

And like I said: Cloth constraints DO work, pressure constraints DON'T.
900 posts
have you tried do install the same 19.5.303 version in the second PC?
96 posts
Not yet.

Just wanted to check with the rest of you, if there are any similar problems. If anybody has H up running, please give it a try. Something subdivided into cloth and pressure constraint and a quick sim. Curious if everybody else is having the same fun as me.

Thanks for checking in advance!
96 posts
Installed the latest Houdini version (.403). Error remains (OpenCL Exception: clSet KernelArg (-49))

Am I the only one using Vellum pressure these days? That's what causes the error and the sim to fail.
2 posts
What GPU driver are you using? I started getting a ton of OpenCL errors on 19.5.368 when I updated to the latest Nvidia Game Ready driver (522.25) (just doing simple cloth sims). I rolled back to 517.48 and everything is working again. There are reports about that driver causing problems with other 3D software as well. They must have done something with their OpenCL implementation. Not sure if the same problem is on the Studio driver or not.
96 posts
It might be related to Houdini AND nvidia drivers. There aren't any new drivers available for my laptop for quite some time, so there's nothing like a recent change in drivers. The PC which still works correctly runs .303 and 517.40.
96 posts
P.S.: Please try today's .407 build. SideFX confirmed that there'S a possible fix included. I see that it's not up yet. Probably arriving later today or tomorrow.
2 posts
Thanks! It looks like there's a fix in 407 and then a second fix in 408 as well.
  • Quick Links