Question: With Circle Handle direction

3582   2   1
5 posts
I've attached an OTL that has a simple setup of what I'm trying to do.
When I rotate (via Xform Handle) the object, I'd like the `Circle Handle` to stay oriented to the object, at this time it does not. How do I do that? Is it possible to parent handles? (I'm guessing because there are no vector inputs for this handle that what I'm wanting to do is impossible, but am hoping that some work around exists, such as Handle Parenting)
I understand that for this situation there are better handles to use such as the `Distance Handle` but for my project here at work I need the XY scalability of the `Circle Handle`.

Another question is if I chose to use the `Distance Handle` how do I make the handle rings scale to the size of the object? Example: use a simple Clip Sop on an object, then scale that object before the Clip and the clips Distance Handle rings scale with the object. Yet if I recreate the Distace Handle within an OTL I loose scalability, why is that and how do I fix that?

Thanks for your help.
a

Attachments:
ConeTest01.hip (160.5 KB)
ConeTest.otl (6.6 KB)

5 posts
in the defualt field add ownerop(`object/sop`) , I guess that tells it to pay attention to object level transformation, before I just had it set to object only, once I added sop to string all transformations came into play on handles.

Still wondering about scaling distance rings…

Peace
a
5 posts
To anyone who may come across this usless post, in the end I figured out that the version of houdini I was using had a bug that was making my life dificult when it comes to custom handles, houdini would crash everytime I tried to use the handle parameter window. So when I realized this and switched to a version not afflicted by this particular bug it became super easy to set up whatever handle I wanted customizing it via the handle parameter window then exporting this to the type properties of the otl.

Life goes on.
a
  • Quick Links