Hard Edges

4358   6   1
339 posts
Hi
I was looking for a way to mark/group edges and make them hard in terms of smoothing and this is what I came up with:

I couldn't find a standard way to do this. Maybe an edge option in the Normal node would be cool.

Cheers
Edited by probiner - July 22, 2017 12:04:29

Attachments:
HardEdges.hipnc (104.3 KB)

19 posts
Hi,

If you want to do this on a per primitive basis select some as a group, add Vertex Normals and change cusp to the desired value. For a single patch select some edges and use the Edge Cusp operator from the shelf.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
HardEdges_01.hipnc (125.4 KB)

339 posts
Hey Cerimon, thanks for adding more alternatives.

I'm my case the intention was really to do hard edge marking alike Blender/Maya/XSI.

Cheers!
Edited by probiner - July 21, 2017 14:47:46
339 posts
I just noticed though that while you can't set the normals on edges, you can use a group of edges… So there's that…. x)

Edge Group > Set on Vertices with 0 threshold!

​​​​​​​Eh!
18 posts
The issue with the solution provided with Cusp : you litteraly cut the geometry and it gives overlapping points...
I'm surprised Houdini does not provide simple tool to crease/hard edge as you can do with other software like Max.
216 posts
Pacman972
The issue with the solution provided with Cusp : you litteraly cut the geometry and it gives overlapping points...
I'm surprised Houdini does not provide simple tool to crease/hard edge as you can do with other software like Max.
Hello @Pacman972, I think you miss the @probiner response that give you the straigth way to do this without litteraly cut the geo.

Cf. below quick illustrated example, hope that help.

Attachments:
setEdgeNormal.gif (1.1 MB)

18 posts
Hi Julca ! Indeed with illustrated example, it's better ! Thank you !
  • Quick Links