Where does launcher look for env variables?

853   3   0
861 posts
With the old command line launching of houdini I never had problems but with the launcher none of my own env variables are recognized. For example, houdini.env is ignored, and houdini_setup won't have an effect either. Where do I set these properly when using Houdini Launcher on Linux?
Edited by Soothsayer - March 3, 2023 03:30:36
--
Jobless
4 posts
I have the same issue, also makes it impossible to use Redshift
1908 posts
The launcher can only support configurations specified in standard Houdini known locations, which basically means things under $HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR. Since other locations like $HSITE rely on vars being set already they won't generally work.

houdini.env will certainly be picked up, though its usefulness is restricted to things that actually work being set within it. If you have packages (or symlinks to things) under $HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR/packages then those will be found as well.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
311 posts
”Where do I set these properly when using Houdini Launcher on Linux?”

Yeah, for running Houdini I actually run a script and can set my own env var arbitrarily. This is not the ”proper way” but who cares?

You should probably follow graham’s advice for a standard setting.

To experiment maybe try something similar from within Houdini:

import os
os.system(export MYPATH=/to/disneyland”’)
Edited by SWest - July 14, 2023 06:01:31
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
  • Quick Links