HDA// Type Properties// Node Handles

605   1   0
12 posts
Hey folks,

so I ran into a little challenge. I want to build a tool that uses a simple box inside a subnet and generates some geo on the faces of that box.

To conveniently change the size of the box you have usually these handles where you simply drag the size of your box to your needs, but when I wrap that all into a subnet I lose that little red pyramid handles. There is the option in the type properties menu under "Node" to specify the guide geo, but it shows just the outline and not the handles.

So what I basically want is to have the "node selection" on the box inside of the subnet to give me the handles and the "display flag" on the output to give me the result. Is there an option to get that without python? However I am aware of the option to just take the box outside the subnet, but I was wondering if there is a better solution to that, since the box will remain always a box.

Thanks a lot
311 posts
Hi Irinel,

what I think is happening is that the defauly handles of a cube belong to that node.

However a subnet does not have such a handle by default. Promoting parameters will noy change that.

If you make an HDA there is a slot for the kinefx__rigpose tag that will allow the display of kinefx handles. Somehow the node state will inherit controls from the internal network.

If you don’t need an hda it is possible to experiment with node type. However I do not expect this to be as standard approach.

One workaround could be to make a simple skeleton rig with handles and use that to control your prop. For that I’d use kinefx because this is what I’ve been using so far. A benefit is that you can create any handle you like and it is good to know how to do this.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
  • Quick Links