Importing Houdini RBD Sim into Blender for rendering

598   2   1
15 posts
Hi. I recently created one of my first scenes following a tutorial dropping ceramic vases on the floor using an RBD solver.
The main attribute driver I use for spawning five different vases from a point is the Class Attribute.

I am using an Alembic ROP to export the sim into Blender. So far, so good, but I can not shade each Vase differently within Blender.
The entire sim seems driven by one shader for the Vase walls and one for the cracked edges.

Do you know what attribute in Houdini allows me to manipulate each Vase shader independently in Blender?

Thank you !

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-25 120902.png (2.1 MB)
blenderattributes.jpg (44.0 KB)

2537 posts
Make sure each of your RBD pieces are unpacked and have a unique name. Set the Alembic ROP to Build Hierarchy By Attribute and use the name or class attribute to define that hierarchy. That name will become an object in Blender's outliner. This will allow you to apply a different material to each piece in the Blender scene.
Edited by Enivob - Dec. 25, 2023 09:15:36

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (115.7 KB)
Untitled-1a.jpg (91.8 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
15 posts
Enivob
Make sure each RBD piece is unpacked and has a unique name. Set the Alembic ROP to Build Hierarchy By Attribute and use the name or class attribute to define that hierarchy. That name will become an object in Blender's outliner. This will allow you to apply a different material to each piece in the Blender scene.

Thank you, I tried your suggestion. I got in Blender every piece of the broken vase as a different mesh, making it impossible to handle. I am trying to get not a shader for each crack of each Vase but to get all cracks on Vases A, B, C, and D...identified.

I also tried to use Class instead of name (which gives me every tiny separated mesh), but Class doesn't seem to do anything when importing it into Blender. Maybe the attribute isn't present after using certain nodes.

I uploaded the Houdini file. I hope this helps to clarify or point out what I should do.

Thank you for your time and help.

Attachments:
RBDSPAWN.hiplc (1.2 MB)

• Quick Links