Karma Darker result

634   4   0
38 posts
I'm getting a darker render than the jpg that I'm trying to match, weirdly enough, when I switch to "untoned mapped."

I have a better representation than what the "sdr-video" gives me; I'm using the Houdini h20 config.
Image Not Found

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-01-15 003217.jpg (398.3 KB)

7803 posts
sachiman
I'm getting a darker render than the jpg that I'm trying to match, weirdly enough, when I switch to "untoned mapped."

I have a better representation than what the "sdr-video" gives me; I'm using the Houdini h20 config.
Image Not Found

sdr-video is a tone map that darkens the image, it can't be used with the expectation of color matching.
38 posts
sdr-video is a tone map that darkens the image; it can't be used with the expectation of color matching

I thought it was basically pushing it back to srgb as view-transform,

after I tell resolve that the footage is AcesCG and output transform is srgb I get one to one(as the Solaris and RS viewport)

So I'm left with the conclusion that SDR-video is srgb, but what I'm missing is why I am not getting one-to-one as the image.

On the other hand, why wouldn't they just name it srgb or rec709, I don't know. I'm probably missing something.

EDIT: ill try to do a revers transform in the mat
Edited by sachiman - Jan. 15, 2024 05:29:47
7803 posts
sachiman
I thought it was basically pushing it back to srgb as view-transform,

The srgb view transform is applied with all of the views under the sRGB display, except or Raw or None or whatever. The difference between the views is in the look or tone map. Un-tonemapped will give you a straight sRGB view transform without any looks or tonemapping. This should match sRGB input textures on output to display. The view called "ACES 1.0 SDR-Video" is the ACES standard tone map for video. It compresses the dynamic range but also shifts the gray point down a little more than a stop. If color matching is required for some constant color images or a plate or something, the inverse display-view transform can be used instead of a colorspace transform (although maybe not with the confines of a shader).
38 posts
oo nice thanks for clearing that up
  • Quick Links