polar / panorama render from Solaris

2498   7   1
38 posts
I just realised there are no panoramic projection options on cameras in Solaris, and if I import a panoramic camera from OBJ it gets reset to perspective.

I'm building out a scene using LOPs and need to render panoramic for VR. Is there any way I can do this in Houdini? Failing that, is there another tool I can import the resulting USD scene into that does support panoramic render?

I'll be very sad if I can't use Solaris & USD for the layout & lighting.

Cheers
38 posts
Update - I can't see a way in Karma but Redshift supports spherical camera via Solaris & USD Render ROP
Edited by mrboni - Dec. 1, 2021 09:57:40
7803 posts
The old VRlens shader works with Karma CPU. It can be used as a polar camera in mono mode.
38 posts
Thanks!
38 posts
Is this the same as the vrcam? I added on to OBJ and tried to import it to LOPs but it's unsupported
7803 posts
mrboni
Is this the same as the vrcam? I added on to OBJ and tried to import it to LOPs but it's unsupported

Yes, it's the same as vrcam. It probably isn't supported via import from obj, but the camera LOP node has an option to add a lens shader.
1 posts
How to implement panorama rendering in solaris
4 posts
I was trying to figure how to do a panorama and found this thread in the process. So I'll put it here for future reference.

If you add a Karma Physical Lens Shader to the camera in Solaris you can set the projection to Polar on the Lens Distortion tab.
  • Quick Links