How to export simulation geometry?

7904   4   2
20 posts
Hi all, I am just currently trying out the new beta to see if it would be possible to incorporate to my workflow, sorry if I am asking something obvious.

I try without success exporting the simulated geometry (obj) of a rigid body animation, because it seems that ROP operator within DOP can not output geometry, am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
696 posts
you can export geometry to SOPs and use a rop output from there to render as a .bgeo

you can use either a dop import sop, or an object merge to bring dop geometry into sops.

Rbd objects by default put dop sim information into groups based on the operator names. So, if your rbd object is named “sphere1” you can import into sops with an object merge by having the path set to something similar to
“/obj/dopnet1:sphere1/Geometry”

In Houdini 9, If you use the shelf to turn an object into an rbd, it will automatically place a dop import sop into your network. I'd suggest doing this if for no other reason than to understand what a dop import sop does. (The shelf is actually fairly useful for tasks such as this). I don't remember if dop import sop is in earlier versions.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
696 posts
I originally missed the part where you said you were using the beta.

It would be a good idea to keep H9 questions to the specific forum for H9 Beta.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
20 posts
Thanks for the reply, Allegro, and sorry for posing on the wrong forum, and please forgive me to follow up my question for the time being..

I successfully write out the obj sequences, but is it possible to write point cache in houdini? Things would be simpler if it can because I found it quite tricky to manipulate separated object in each frame…I really hope houdini can provide more option for working with other package, it will give me more confident to use this package.

Again, any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks!
696 posts
sorry, I'm not sure I understand

How would the point cache be different than what you are already doing with .obj?
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
  • Quick Links