vex code to sop

5061   6   1
22 posts
dear all,

I just start learning to use vex, and discover that the “compile vex code to sop type” are very useful for modeling (learn from David Gary’s Vex DVD)… I’m trying to explore more function in vex and to visualize in Sop, especially the Worley noise, voronoi noise and cellular noise. However is not quite successful to visual it in 3d model pattern. I tried the help, and Vex language reference, but not much material cover this subject.

For quick visualization, I did the following but not sucessful,
At geo – grid> vex(derived from compile vex code to sop type)
At Vex - Global variables(P)>vectofloat(v)>voronoise>floatovec>output

Wonder if anyone is familiar with these functions and knowing any link to this relevant subject? I know this may involve complicated procedures and not that simple I might have thought, however, any advice to help me progress is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
34 posts
Aspect,

I'm not 100% sure where your problem is because it seems that to visualise the noise on a grid your going about it the right way.

Make sure that your GlobalVariable (P) is plugged into the noise position, and that it is also plugged into a vector to float. Form the output of the vectortofloat, you'll want a floattovector which takes the x, and z values from the vector to float, and in the y component you'll want to plug in the output of the noise. This new vector is then used as the output position.

Attatching the new sop to the end of your gris you should have some deformation. The detail of this deformation is dependant on the resolution of your grid however. You'll need quite dense geometry to visulaise the noise in detail.

Another approach would be to use the displace along normal vop.

I hope this helps although you may have figured this out already.
22 posts
hi jimbob8s,

many thanks for the advise, to clarify my intention, this is the image which i use the vex cellular noise in vex then transfer to cop…
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/497557808_265f6c80b1_o.jpg [farm1.static.flickr.com] ,
i suppose to do it in vexsop might involve a more complicated procedures?

thanks again for being helpful.

cheers herman
34 posts
Sorry Herman,

I didnt quite understand that last post. Did you want to displace the geometry using a noise function, or are you using a noise function to create an image which you then use as the displacement?
22 posts
hi jimbob8s,

i mainly want to create a 3d obj as per following images,
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/497557808_265f6c80b1_o.jpg [farm1.static.flickr.com]
by using the vexsop voronoise/cellular noise function. is it possible??

thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply.

cheers
34 posts
Herman,

Have a look at this scene.
You'll need to redirect the path of the colour map in the vopsop to you image. Once you have done this you'll get the displacement of the image on the grid. However, for you to get a detailed displacement, you'll have to up the resolution of the grid. The higher the resolution the more detailed the displacement will be.

Alternatively, you could just use a noise function in the vopsop and use this to direct the displacement rather than having to create the noise function, render it out as an image, and then apply it as a displacement map.

hope this helps,

Tim

Attachments:
displacement.hipnc (55.9 KB)

22 posts
thanks tim, appreciate your help… will take a further look at your file and understand it since i'm a newbie!

cheers herman
  • Quick Links