How to create a XSI like Curve to Mesh SOP

4445   7   1
10 posts
Use XSI everyday at work and trying to see if houdini could fit into my pipeline. I deal with a lot of vector logo stuff that needed control over bevels and extrudes. The XSI command “Curve to Mesh” gives me all that.

Been toying with making a SOP using both nurb sweeps and poly SOPs with no luck. Cusp'd or not the beveled edge don't seem to work like any 3D software I've used before.

Anybody coming from XSI have any ideas?
1192 posts
Try the Extrude SOP (not the PolyExtrude).
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini9.1/nodes/sop/extrude [sidefx.com]
I agree the whole approach could use some love. Same goes for the Font SOP.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
10 posts
I've been trying the Extrude SOP. The problem comes with holes I think. Try starting with the text “XOD” in a Font SOP. Then extrude. The run through a polybevel SOP. You'll see the edge on the front and back faces causes havok for the bevel.

Tried edge loop selecting the front edges, but don't see how to make that a group since group's only take primitives and points. I know that I'm probably just two steps from understanding.

Thank for the help in advance.
1192 posts
the extrude sop lets you specify and extrusion profile, which can help (instead of using bevels). But it might as well fail, unfortunately.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
10 posts
I see a X-Section group but no extrusion profile. I think with an extrusion profile might to the trick though.
10 posts
Okay, now I feel very close. Attach is my stupidly simple test network. Works like I think it should except the left side of the “D” is not correct.

Could someone take a look at it and see why the hard edge of the “D” is not reacting the same way and the hard edges of the “X”.

What's causing the problem?

Thanks again.

Attachments:
beveltest.hipnc (36.4 KB)

67 posts
You need to go back to your font node. Go to primitive type and select polygons only from drop down menu.

cheers.
10 posts
Yep, that's all it took, thanks for the patience!
  • Quick Links