Update on my training project.

10774   5   1
436 posts
Hi all.
A while ago I began my Houdini training project. I posted some initial screen caps and some people from SideFX asked to keep them updated. So here are some more developed caps of the creature model. Right now I have no clue how to rig the skin to the skeleton in Houdini. I know exactly how I would it in 3DS MAX and Lightwave using Weight Maps and discreet vertex assignments, so I hope I can port some of those skills into Houdini. I took some time off modeling to understand how various modueles ties together concentrating on VEX and CHOPs. Also I am experimenting as to the best way to integrate facial animation with bones rigging. My current plan of attack is to have the head and body as different geometries. Then merge the two geometries into a master model, and isolate all facial animation, done with shape animation via Blend and Sequence Blend tiles.

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=5272 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]

If anyone has ideas as to how to best go about rigging this beast, please share it.

Thanks in advance.

David Rindner
436 posts
The correct URL is
http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=5301 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]

I just want to reiterate how good Houdini's polygonal modeling tools are. For sub-division cage construction its the best I have used. I am amazed how with relatively few tools its so easy to construct complex cages. My hats off to SideFX staff for the thought-out way they implented the modeling tools. I think there are some issues and improvements to be made, but overall the modeling in Houdini is outstanding. If I had the money, which I don't, I would make Houdini my primary character modeler. My hope is that one day I'd end up working in a Houdini based shop.

Dave Rindner
http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showcase_page.php?userid=318 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]
639 posts
Hi David,

It's looking good so far.

I am so happy to hear that you really liked Houdini's polygonal modeling. Between H4 and H5, SideFX has made a very HUGE improvement on its polygonal modeling tools. I am certain that it is safe to say that H6 will be very awesome.

Knowing the countless flaws of my experimentation and work that I have made, the non-linear and the non-destructive nature of Houdini's proceduralism has been something that I don't think I can live without nowadays. I just love it that I can go back to the day 1 of my work and all my history is still right there.

Keep on exploring. Because chances are, you will find Houdini to be a bottomless pit in what you can do. (That has been my experience so far.) But don't worry, you'll have plenty of moment where it just “clicked”.

Big cheers!
Alex
48 posts
Wow your model looks just awesome. Did you start with a sketch or did you just sit down and start pulling the poly cage? I have followed alot of your post in this forum and it is nice to know that you are able to overcome some of the problems you were having. I just started with the tutorial files earlier this week and I am having a great time with Houdini.

I am glad to see that such a wonderful model was constructed in Houdini by someone who is relatively new to the software. Keep posting updates? Sorry I have no advice in regards to the rigging of the character, but I am confident that there is a robust solution to all the character set up you want to do…. Hopefully, someone will post some approaches… Keep up the great work Todd Dufour
Todd Dufour
——————————–
Life is as long as it is short.
——————————–
436 posts
HI and THX for great feedback.

The model started as a box which was split, pulled, sculpted, uncounted times. I first modeled the front leg, then sourced it to make the hind leg. Then sourced again to make the arm. Then all three were merged and bridged to construct the body. Head is usually the toughest part. The front of the head was modeled in Houdini, the back I sourced from existing geometry that I modeled some time ago. In a way it was a test of how I can fuse legacy geometry with fresh construction. Houdini's tools, workflow, and GUI are really conducive to bridging the unconnected meshes together, and cleaning topology so the we end up with nice quad poly cage. I experiment with various forms, and here Houdini shines much brighter then Maya, or Lightwave. I would create these networks that branch off at various stages, then I would explore which form iteration I like the most. In formZ,MAYA, and Lightwave, I did that with multiple layers. Layers are great way to work, but I like the Houdini's branching approach much more. At this point, for modeling sub-division characters/creatures, Houdini is hands down my favorite.
Check out my other work at URL below.

Now how do I get myself a job as Houdini 3d modeler?

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showcase_page.php?userid=318 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]
Dave Rindner
7025 posts
Hi David,
How do you get a job using Houdini and modelling? Send your reel and resume to all the big shops here in L.A and highlight your Houdini experience, especially modelling (good Houdini modellers are rare, since Houdini 5 was the first time Houdini had serious interactive modelling tools) and then hope they're hiring.
Another tip Most shops only hire at the start of a project, so keep yourself aware of when shops land projects etc. There are websites like VFXpro and cgchannel that often post this info.

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links