Compiling standalone programs - HDK, OSX

3817   4   2
44 posts
I built the samples, as well as a simple HelloWorld and get the following when running

objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/9.5.183/Libraries/libHoudiniUT.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/9.5.183/Libraries/libHoudiniUI.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/9.5.183/Libraries/libHoudiniAPPS2.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/9.5.183/Houdini’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: *** GC capability of application and some libraries did not match
Illegal instruction

Maybe a tweak to hcustom is needed to include the correct compiler switch (es)?

On a happy note, it looks like other than that, it deals with objective-c code just fine (at least the simple class I threw at it).
154 posts
Yep, looks like a missing flag (-fobjc-gc-only). Should be easy to fix up. Sorry about that!
44 posts
Thanks much
154 posts
Look for the fix in the next build.

BTW, you'll now get a harmless warning when you compile C or C++.
44 posts
Just tested this again today, seems that the problem still exists.

On a related note, I was messing around with soho today, and ran into a couple of problems there:

Executing a soho script got me this:

import sohoglue
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/9.5.223/Resources/houdini/soho/sohoglue.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/9.5.223/Resources/houdini/soho/sohoglue.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture

That's with the seemingly default OSX installed python (at least as far as I can tell) - seeing that the architecture of sohoglue.so is x86_64, I tried it with the provided “python2.5-64” in the Houdini Framework directory, and got the garbage collection error above.

edit:

I seem to have misunderstood the soho workflow slightly, which I'm looking into, although I'll leave the comments just in case.
  • Quick Links