Houdini & RealFlow

6937   3   1
84 posts
Hi all,

I think Houdini is powerful enough in Dynamic and Simulation, however,
there is a plugin software named RealFlow.

This is a problem here,

if Houdini is real powerful enough, why we need RealFlow?

I really confused about this.

Thanks for your answering.
https://vimeo.com/jacyslin [vimeo.com]
160 posts
I can`t understand peoples, who after Houdini particlebased fluids using, can look on to RealFlow again. This program( RealFlow ) is very strange. Houdini also use the “SPH” algorithm, but you have a infinity freedom with combine, rendering, caching, transfer fluid data thought networks. You can just copy and past, duplicate some parts of network flow in same scene, for trying variants. You can cache data on disk, and then work with it on SOP level, or combine with POP-s.

RealFlow price is $2700, but you can buy Houdini Apprentice HD (only 90$) and work without watermarks. Or with watermarks - no problem too. You always can store your scenes in *.hipnc format, but, when you work in big studio (who can have Houdini Master) - you just recreate your scenes.

I think - Houdini is the best. Really.

SESI, please never close the “Apprentice” door.
28 posts
Houdini has an amazing set of tools for fluids , you can do anything you want, is just matter of knowing how to.

We have to use Real flow because the integration with Cinema 4D witch we use a lot for production and quick renders in cinema and because We have the ability to use render farms on line, but personally I like Houdini better.

I hope some day there will be render farms on line supporting Houdini and with good prices.
WWW.CardanFX.com
http://www.facebook.com/CardanFXfans [facebook.com]
VISUAL FX Training on line
696 posts
As per the original question, Realflow is not a plugin for Houdini, but a standalone program that has existed for several years now. It's still a big deal for other packages which may not yet have their own SPH tools; it was only around this time last year that Houdini gained access to tools of their own for this.

In all fairness, I'm sure Realflow has it's own unique strengths that outshine ours at the moment, but for the most part it's usefulness has diminished for Houdini users.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
  • Quick Links