problem with tutorial "Transferring Color with Dynamics

3040   2   2
35 posts
hi all, I've just gone through the tutorial “Transferring color with Dynamics”. I learned a lot from the tutorial, but when I went through the render section of the tutorial (part 7) I had some problems. In my scene, the fluid is always rendered blue from mantra (it shows up properly in the viewport). I couldn't figure it out so I downloaded the scene files which come with the tutorial and to my surprise I got the same behavior. I did get a load warning when I opened the tutorial scene file “Skipping unrecognized parameter ”clamp" ". I realize the tutorial was probably made with an earlier version of houdini, but I'm not sure how to go about correcting the problem with regards to rendering the color of the fluid.

thanks for any suggestions

-ranxx
696 posts
if you MMB on /obj/colour_out/objectmerge1 you'll see that a Primitive Cd. /obj/AutoDopNetwork:fluid/surface/Visualization contains not only geometry, but because it's Visualization, it also contains that Color attribute that was chosen in the DOP context.

You can place an attribute sop down after the object merge, and navigate to the Primitive Attributes. If you tell it to delete Cd, you should now get renders as expected since Mantra will now be looking at the point attribute that is created by your vopnet instead of the primitive attribute from DOPs.

One thing I'll point out, is that it might have been better to have used the shelf in this example when creating the fluid, since it would have put down the dop import node instead of the object merge. This in turn would have imported the v data so that you can properly motion blur the liquid as it falls.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
35 posts
thank you sir, works like a charm.

-ranxx
  • Quick Links