Gravity on impact only

4826   5   2
258 posts
I am trying to set up a glass skylight break sim and all is working great except I only want to have gravity affect an rbd piece if it has impact so my skylight won't fall as a group. I am pretty sure that I can cull the impact data somehow, put it into a group that gravity will affect I am just unsure how to proceed.

Any help or guidance here would be great.

s
696 posts
try using an rbd glue object
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
203 posts
You could try setting the creation frame of the glass to right before the ball hits it.
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
127 posts
hey i'm pretty new to Houdini so might not come up with very elegant workflow, but i guess it might also be possible using the combination of RBD State and Active state operators.

the same method could also be used to take RBD's out of simulation and animate them and put them back in the simulation.

again it might not be the best way but will do the job (I guess)

cheers

Bhavesh Pandey
Bhavesh Pandey.

https://bhaveshpandey.io [bhaveshpandey.io]
349 posts
Or you could use the dophassubdata() to gain access to what has had collisions, then group those and use that group in a gravity force. Not sure how that would look on a supposedly breaking object though.
258 posts
“Or you could use the dophassubdata() to gain access to what has had collisions, then group those and use that group in a gravity force. Not sure how that would look on a supposedly breaking object though.”

This sounds about right thnx.

s
  • Quick Links