How to install Houdini 9 in ubuntu 8.1

12142   2   1
2 posts
Hi

As i allways get an error of hmaster when i launch houdini on windows xp pro sp3 (actually i can launch the app, but when i click comewhere it crashes) i decided to give a try to linux.
So i am just installing ubuntu 8.1 32bit on a separate partition.

I am completely new to linux, so i have to idea how to install the nvidia drivers there as well as houdini itself.

Can someone give me a very detailed tutorial about how to do it?

Thanks
1390 posts
pedrokost
Hi

As i allways get an error of hmaster when i launch houdini on windows xp pro sp3 (actually i can launch the app, but when i click comewhere it crashes) i decided to give a try to linux.
So i am just installing ubuntu 8.1 32bit on a separate partition.
I am completely new to linux, so i have to idea how to install the nvidia drivers there as well as houdini itself.
Can someone give me a very detailed tutorial about how to do it?
Thanks

Although I admire your will to try the best operating system on the planet, perhaps you should put things in order with your Winxp first? Houdini operates just fine on windows, and it looks like you have a problem with your video card or drivers. What is a specification of your PC?

Anyways:

1. For popular nVidia and ATI cards you can install drivers with a help of envy script. Get envy:
~$ sudo apt-get install envyng-core

then run it in terminal and proceed further with its advice:
~$ sudo envyng -t

2. Download Houdini in correct version. gcc and 32/64bit should match your system, but in your case you don't have much choice since there is only one 32bit/gcc>4.1 build anyway (noted as Ubuntu 7.04):

~$ tar vfxz houdini-9.5.xxx-linux_i686_gcc4.1.tar.gz
~$ cd houdini-9.5.xxx-linux_i686_gcc4.1.tar.gz
~$ sudo ./houdini.install

Just do what they ask you for, and you're done. By now you should be able to start Houdini from Applications menu, but if you'd like to use shell like every ordinary linux user, there is a last thing to do.

Houdini will install to /opt/houdnix.x.xxx directory. If you go there, you'll find a small script you need to source whenever you want to use Houdini.

~$ cd /opt/houdinix.x.xxx
~$ source ./houdini_setup_bash
~$ cd $OLDPWD

The idea is to put such command (along with navigational “cd”s) to some place it will be executed every time you start shell. Place above snippet for example in your home .bashrc file, which is default user based bash configuration file. You can't see it there, because it starts with dot (which means it's hidden).

~$ cd (this place you in your $HOME)
~$ gedit .bashrc

add your stuff, and save the file. If you open new shell (or just write “bash” in old one), you should see something like:

The Houdini 9.5.276 environment has been initialized.

At that time you can execute any Houdini related command in shell:
houdini, hmaster, hescape, hscript, hython, mplay, gplay, gconvert, iconvert, hconfig etc etc etc etc…

Hope this helps,
skk.
  • Quick Links