Questions on Performance

4481   3   2
85 posts
Hi,

I am using H9 Apprentice 9.5.303 at home on a 2Ghz Dual Core Notebook, WinVista Business 32, 2GB RAM. It's not fast as hell but it's working.

Today I doing some R& D work on fluid character stuff, so I installed the same version of Houdini on my workstation, there.

It's a Quad Core Xeon at about 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, QuadroFX graphics adapter and WinXP64.

I created a very simple scene, with a fluid container (5*5*5, 20 uniform divisions), inside there is a platonic teapot connected to an isooffset node as a “fluid object” and I simulate the fluid volume falling onto the container's bottom.

I think it was running much faster on my notebook- I had it running for about 20 frames and as I wanted to playback from cache on the workstation it took ages. On the notebook I can playback cached stuff in realtime.

Is there any benchmark for H9? Do you know about something I might have done wrong on the workstation machine (e.g. some setting that will screw up sim times)?
17 posts
I had the complete opposite happening… my first station to run Houdini was a quad core, 4g ram and XP32, simulations were running out of memory pretty fast even with low count of rigid bodies, I then got a second station with the same configuration but running XP64, everything is fine since, much faster and even if I start overnight simulations, it will not crash out of memory when I get back to it the next day…
34 posts
Hi
I'm using Dell latest workstation
2 Quad core processor 3Ghz,
16 GB DDR RAM 4x4 ,
QuadroFX 1.5GB Graphics Card
Windows XP64bit or Linux fedora 8

While doing simulation fluid or dynamics my overall CPU usage is 10% to 15% it’s taking 1 or 2 core only full usage out of 8 , other 6 core are taking 5 to 10 percentage on that core.

But while rendering if select all processors it takes all core processors overall percentage 95% to 100%

I think this is best machine for simulation .But I’m not getting good performance,

Sad news is my old Dell workstation does faster simulation then latest workstation.

Old Dell workstation
2 Dual Core Processor 2.6Ghz
4 GB DDR RAM 2x2
QuadroFX 512 MB
Windows XP64bit or Linux fedora 8

Overall CPU usage for Simulation is 50% to 60%
Main difference in two workstation is number of core processors.

How to utilize all core processor for simulation (100% CPU usage)?
Maybe I want to enable anything in Houdini to utilize all core processors for simulation.
or
I think this is software core utilizations problem.
Any solution for this problem .

Murali PR :cry:
77 posts
is there a benchmark page / chart somewhere?

i would love to see operating systems compared as well as workstation hardware.

this kind of chart would help with purchase discussions quite alot.
  • Quick Links