License oddities

5117   5   1
53 posts
my NCL for houdini expires today. i found out by opening houdini and it prompted me to the license window. so i do what i normally do, tell the app to install a new license.
license is retrieved, i go launch houdini…. it asks me to install license again.

so i start checking around if everything is working and its all fine.
i go through the Faq, and everything seems fine.

i tried uninstalling houdini, rebooting, and installing it again but no go.
when i try to manually install the keys it gives me some problem, that the keys are already installed.

so now im thinking, how do i completely uninstall houdinis licenses.?
deleting the windows/keys folder doesnt seem to do much.

also how do i remove the houdini license server? i want to try removing it completely and try again.

( by the way 2 days ago houdini worked no problem , and i havent changed anything since )

so any ideas on whats going on?

heres the diagnostic.

Help mode : troubleshooting
Problem : cannotstarthoudini
Platform : windows
Using commercial version : no
Can start hkey : yes
Can see sesinetd : yes
Has license(s) for this product : yes
It was working : yes
Has a server license : yes
All licenses in use for product : no
Has 0/0 available for product : yes
IP masks match : yes
Server name does not match : no
Manually entered disabled license : no

by the way. my mask is +.+.+.+
is it supposed to be like that?

but it does match

heres what i get under installed licenses.

LicID Platform Product Ver Avail Expiry
—– ——– ——- — —– ——
6fe124a6 Generic Houdini-Master-NonCommercial 6.1 0/0 07-oct-2003
+.+.+.+
=== For some reason, this license is not valid ===
=== (Maybe machine names don't match?) ===
babb79d1 Generic Render-NonCommercial 6.1 0/0 07-oct-2003
+.+.+.+
=== For some reason, this license is not valid ===
=== (Maybe machine names don't match?) ===
-m-k-
53 posts
problem solved.

for some reason my IP in my hosts file was different from my actual IP

cheers.
-m-k-
48 posts
What do you think of the new Polybevel SOP and edgeloop selections in 6.1?
7714 posts
What about simply removing the entry in your HOSTS file that contains your computer name? I would expect that for Windows, it should always be able to find itself without requiring an entry in the HOSTS file. The default one on Windows simply has a “127.0.0.1 localhost” line.

If your computer uses DHCP, then you will get problems with hardcoding your IP address in your HOSTS file as it can change from time to time. The worst situation I've run across was with ADSL since everytime I logged on, it gave me a different IP address.
53 posts
Shannon
What do you think of the new Polybevel SOP and edgeloop selections in 6.1?

umm well you know how much i like having bevels. so many uses for it.
as for edgeloop selections. it doesnt work how you expect at times, but ill post that in another thread. ( modelling improvements or something itll be called )

If your computer uses DHCP, then you will get problems with hardcoding your IP address in your HOSTS file as it can change from time to time. The worst situation I've run across was with ADSL since everytime I logged on, it gave me a different IP address.

good idea.
( and oi to your old problem )
-m-k-
225 posts
my NCL for houdini expires today. i found out by opening houdini and it prompted me to the license window. so i do what i normally do, tell the app to install a new license.
license is retrieved, i go launch houdini…. it asks me to install license again.

I found this to be quite common on the day the license expires. Any new license you install on the last day or just before has the same expiry date as the old one. I had the same problem…again. Best thing to do is just wait a day out( watch a movie or something) and install a new license the next day. A lot of NC license issues on these forums occur around lic expiry dates. I think this should be a sticky

cheers
  • Quick Links