Confused about Houdini idioms: delete/copy/stamp & forea

5539   2   0
98 posts
Dear All,

I'm continuing my work on procedural urban modeling with Houdini, and suddenly I had a really newby question… I know it has been answered millions of times before, but I can't find the answer anywhere. So, please, bear with me! -)

I've been using, for all my iterative needs, combinations of the form

delete(with stamp(“../copyNode”, “var”,0) ) -> somestuff -> copyNode(stamp “var” as $CY)

but I've seen the copy video tutorial which directly does

somestuff (with the stamp above) -> copyNode(stamp “var” as $CY)

so… should I change my code? Is it allways possible to avoid the “delete” node, or are there some situations where you MUST use it?

Finally… Now I imagine all this can be done with the ForEach node, right? are they equivalent? What's the difference? What can and what cannot be done this way that you can with the other?

As I said, I know this is a silly, newbie question, so, please, just point me to where I can read more about this.

THANKS A LOT!!

cheers

dagush.-
————————-
* skylineEngine project coordinator
* buildingEngine module developer
http//ggg.udg.edu/skylineEngine
156 posts
No, you dont have to use the delete sop in conjunction with the copy sop. If your code works, theres no need to change it. If it doesnt work, then maybe you should change it. I suppose there are situations where you MUST use a delete node but I imagine that usually involves needing to delete things.

Use the help for some really good examples on the Foreach sop. While there are some similarities btwn the Copy and Foreach, Foreach has the power of taking nodes inside itself and reiterating a process over a certain number of times. Its pretty cool. Check out the help for some really good examples.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
98 posts
ok, I'll explore a little bit further.

thanks!!!

dagush.-
————————-
* skylineEngine project coordinator
* buildingEngine module developer
http//ggg.udg.edu/skylineEngine
  • Quick Links