Broken polymesh

4342   6   0
27 posts
So there I am, thinking I have a perfect polymesh, and I smooth-sculpt with a 2.5 radius, and then suddenly all these holes appear in my polymesh. Any way to fill the holes with polymesh (as opposed to just using the polycap that makes a big un-maleable surface)? Many thanks… see attached

Attachments:
Broken polymesh.png (44.1 KB)

10 posts
your mesh probably had duplicate unique vertices on top of each other. An example: make a polygon sphere, place a facet sop after it and checkmark “unique points” then add a sculpt node. When you sculpt you will see tears because the edges are not sewn together.

options:
-from the unsculpted mesh, place a facet sop with “consolidate points” and increase the distance just lower than when unwanted consolidations occur. middle mouse on the nodes before and after this operation to verify that points were consolidated (by a decrease in number of points). turn on point numbers in viewport, turn on wireframe, make sure the point numbers are all unique (two numbers on top of each other make the number hard to read and easy to spot). sculpt as normal.

-if you are stuck with the sculpted mesh, use viewport point snapping (v) to snap points together in an edit sop, then perform above method.
27 posts
Re: if you are stuck with the sculpted mesh, use viewport point snapping (v) to snap points together in an edit sop, then perform above method.

I figured out how to do the unsculpted mesh (Thanks!) but unfortunately I have too much already sculpted… So now I can't figure out how to actually snap points together in an edit sop. Any “how to” steps would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!!
10 posts
place down an edit sop after your mesh. with the edit sop selected in network view, press ENTER in the viewport. press 2 to enter point mode. Select some points. press v once to enter point snapping mode. snap points as needed. when fininshed hit ESC to back out of the edit sop state in the viewport. repeat as needed (you can use the same edit sop).
349 posts
Or over the viewer pane, hit 2 for points, select the point, hit T for translate (or R or E, depending if you want to scale or rotate) and that auto-places an edit sop for you, then v-snap.
27 posts
Got all the way up to “…snap points as needed…” and nothing happens because I can't find anywhere in Houdini documentation (my fault I'm sure) that tells me how to do that final “snap points” process. Thanks LoopyLlama and Ragupasta!
10 posts
once in snapping mode (reread earlier reply for that), simply drag a point in the viewport near another point and it will snap to that point. on the lower left hand side of the viewport is the snapping section. there are a few snapping icons located there. scroll the icons down until you see the point snpaping icon. you can right click on this icon and select further options. see houdini manual for details. search for snapping.

good luck!
  • Quick Links