hkey.exe is generating errors grrrr

6631   1   1
40 posts
Hello to all:
This being my first offical post in this forum, I am rather excited about this
whole Apprentice idea sidefx is doing. <thumbs up guys and gals @ houdini> Okay this is my promblem.

I sucessfully got houdini 5.5.36 apprentice working on my workstation at work. Do not blame me, I did not get to pick out this computer. Houdini seems run fine and dandy for now on this box. I have not done much work on it yet, but I have not had any problems other than the redraw of menus and applets but given that I that the box only has intergrated graphics :evil: so I can not complain.

Well my friend gave me a Dell laptop c600, and I have playing around on it for some time now, and I thought it would be nice to get houdini 5.5.36 up and running so when I go to my local coffee shop I will have something
to do besides play around in photoshop [not that I do not mind playing
around in photoshop]

Well I just tried installing Houdini on this laptop and I get hkey.exe has generated errors when trying to get an apprentice license. FYI this laptop is a p3 1gig with 256mb ram 8mb video = the same as the demension 4500s It is currently running windows 2000 SP2 with all the latest drivers and fixes.

Here is the diagnostic .txt file:

Here is the about of the License Adminstrator Diagnostic .txt fileDiagnostic Output:
==================
If you are having licensing problems, please save this information

and email it
to support@sidefx.com.

License Administrator output:
=============================
Generated on: Fri Oct 18 15:00:17 2002
Local host name: POSLATITUDE
Local server code: db94a50b
Local ip address: 127.0.0.1
License server name: poslatitude
License server server code: db94a50b
Server ip address: 127.0.0.1
License server is running: Yes
Has SERVER license: No
License server version: 5.5.36
May modify server from this machine: Yes
License Administrator version: 5.5.36
Http proxy host: (none)

Using standalong mode: Yes

Can retrieve http://license.sidefx.com/index.php: [license.sidefx.com] Yes

Installed licenses:
LicID Platform Product Ver Avail Expiry

—– ——– ——- — —– ——

sesictrl -i output:

===================

—– SERVER poslatitude ——–

*** WARNING *** - No valid server lines found

hserver -l output:
==================
Hostname: POSLATITUDE
Uptime:

1:15:03

License Server: poslatitude

Server Version: sesinetd5.5.36

Version: Houdini5.5.36

ReadAccess: +.+.+.*

WriteAccess: +.+.+.*

118 of 255 Mb available

CPU Usage: 11% load

0 active tasks (1 slots)

licenses file:
==============
* Could not open the licenses file. *

also i took a screen capture of what the screen was doing when i clicked on obtain apprentice license.
here is the link: http://www.geocities.com/klarusboy/hkeyerror.jpg [geocities.com]
i did a dependecy check with dependency walker 2.1 on hkey.exe and everything seemed all right. i just do not understand why it is crashing.
/capin/crunch
1631 posts
Hi,

If you're certain the graphics chipset on the laptop is the same as the workstation's, then I would recommend that you install the latest drivers, or at least the same version as the workstation's, on the laptop.

However if it's not the same, it might not run Houdini properly because of hardware and/or the lack of OpenGL support by the graphics drivers. You can go here [sidefx.com] for a list of graphics cards that are certified. Please note it is only a guide because personally, I'm using a GeForce 2 GTS card & Houdini runs fine on it.

If all else fails, please go to this thread [sidefx.com] for an alternative solution.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links