zDepth of volume shaders

20257   7   2
53 posts
hi, i have a problem with volume shaders.
i assign a billowy_smoke shader to my iso_offset node, but after render zDepth doesn't match with my object.

i render scene with .exr format and extra image plane Pz.

http://shareimage.org/viewer.php?file=tlk9sexwsiyg0llt11zh.jpg [shareimage.org]
http://shareimage.org/viewer.php?file=2n78lpfrrmps340v9kuo.jpg [shareimage.org]
53 posts
anybody? :cry:
696 posts
z-depth doesn't work with voxels.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
1631 posts
I think you can render out a deep shadow map from camera instead and use that as your Depth pass.

You will need to add both Deep Resolver & DSM Filename properties to your Mantra ROP.

Cheers!
steven
53 posts
thanks a lot. i new in Houdini and i switched from Maya.
Using depth map shadow instead of zDepth is the trick that i tested in Maya and it is okay.
but in Houdini, i need help to do.
you say, same as maya i can use houdini light shadow map instead of an image?
is any tutorial about that?
1631 posts
Hi,

I've attached an example hip file. In the file, there are two mantra ROPs, one for the beauty and the other for the camera DSM.

For the DSM mantra ROP, I added the Deep Resolver and DSM Filename properties in order to instruct mantra to generate the DSM and the path to write to. The properties are found under the Properties > Output tab. For more information about adding properties, please search for Property through the Help docs.

Please render each ROP (the image & DSM goes to $HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR) and go to COPs to see how I created the attached image.

I made stickies with comments on what I did or what each operator does.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!
steven

Attachments:
smoke.png (572.5 KB)
smoke_and_depth.png (510.8 KB)
smoke_depth.zip (54.8 KB)

53 posts
thanks a lot stevenong. very cool.
i solve my problem and learn new things from uploaded file.
132 posts
I saw this post a little bit late, but if other people are running into this question looking for some more information……

By utilizing the DCM (deep Camera Map) option (Same drop down as the DSM btw.)

You can render out passes with the pz channel as a DEEP data file instead of a normal z channel.

the DSM merge node will in fact composite those render passes with automatic z finding.

So in theory you dont need to render out a hold out matte for your talent and BG, MG, FG environmental objects.

you can render your environment with the deep camera pass PZ channel as a .rat then you can modify your hero passes anytime you want and not have to worry about rendering out new hold out mattes for your original scene.

In Nuke and Fusion they call this Deep Compositing.

I have not yet figured out how to get the DCM RAT file into a open EXR 2.0 for compositing like a renderman deep comp.

anyone else know?

-c
  • Quick Links