animated vines/seaweed/grass

9666   5   1
245 posts
Dear Readers:

I once remember seeing a video tutorial on vines which were basically straight lines that were copied to a grid using copy SOP and animated procedurally. Does anyone remember the link to that tutorial? I tried varying the wavyness of each line using CHOPS and an expression (
(rand($V)*$I) or something to that effect, followed by a filter) but I only got something reasonable by selecting STATIC instead of ANIMATED in the Geometry CHOP and Channel SOP. So the question is how to get my static waves animated or providing the link to that tutorial if anyone remembers it.

Thanks in advance,
markerline
104 posts
Hey! It think you mean the SOP Animation videos…in the second one, there is some kind of seaweed animated with springs…

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=944&Itemid=257 [sidefx.com]
245 posts
Thanks for finding that for me, calix! That was exactly the tutorial I had previously seen.

Sincerely,
markerline
21 posts
I once did it with strips of cloth that were pinned to the ground. Reverse the gravity force so it is pointing ‘up’ and plug a sine curve into a wind DOP and you have wavey seaweed!
120 posts
Can't you do this with a wire object too and use wind? Haven't tried it myself but am curious
1145 posts
calix
Hey! It think you mean the SOP Animation videos…in the second one, there is some kind of seaweed animated with springs…

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=944&Itemid=257 [sidefx.com]

Jeez! it's grass, can't you tell :roll:

If you can do it in dops that would be better. While the spring sop works fine, if you have lots of “grass” it can become quite heavy since the spring sop doesn't cache the solution. Although you can use a cache sop after the spring.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
  • Quick Links