Rigid Bodies or Particles?

6822   3   2
24 posts
Hello,
Im trying to create a load of coins falling into a money pot and overflowing, but i dont know weather i should use rigid bodies or particles, i created an emmiter and instanced the geometry onto the particles, and set collisions with the pot, but they only collide with the ‘points’ not the instanced shape, can i change the collision hull? how do i get them to self-collide

or should i duplicate hundreds of coins and then set them to active rigid bodies?

Thanks
617 posts
you can do several things for that

if you copy the coins to particles the geometry can intersect one coin into another,
you can use RBD, with use the ODE solver to be faster,
also you can do a low poly coin and use it as ODE form to be more accurate.

or use a emiter of coins of particles and RBD them.

check this post also have some comments on how they did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGBvWpirT0 [youtube.com]
203 posts
Heh, there's actually a digital tutors tutorial on this exact subject. I think I have a scene I made of it somewhere. I'll find it when I have time.
Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
24 posts
Hello,
Im faking this result slightly, having the pot mostly full of coins to begin with (just a thin layer of coins ontop) However i can't seem to set my initial state.
I write a single .sim file at frame 60, disable the file node and then on the AutoDopNetwork put the sim file as the initial state, however everything gets greyed out and there is no simulation, the RBD also stay in their original frame 1 position.

Is there something i am missing?

Thanks
  • Quick Links