Expression to start something at a certain time

5747   2   1
87 posts
Hello

I'm trying to put together a particle system with a Popnet, a source, and a split. What I would like is for the source to emit particles by itself for a certain amount of time, and have the split kick in when the source particles have reached a certain moment in their life.
I would imagine the expression would have something to do with $LIFE, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any help most appreciated
Thanks
Alex
1911 posts
What I would do is just create a group based on whatever condition with the age you'd like and then use that group as the source group of the split.

In the attached scene I group particles whose age is > 5 and those particles then start emitting points.

Attachments:
delayed_pop_split.hipnc (59.4 KB)

Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
87 posts
Beautiful, thank you
I've been investigating how to apply two different shaders to this particle system based on their groups.
I notice that if I go to the SOP level and attach a material node to the POPNET, I don't see the group names coming through in the Group field of the Material node. I tried just typing in the group name from your example (group1) and the material node gives me an error

What is the correct way to apply a different material to different groups of particles?

Thanks again, this example is great.

Alex
  • Quick Links