cmiVFX:"Procedural Road Creation" by Kim Goossens

17295   14   3
3 posts

cmiVFX Launches a New Houdini Training Video - Procedural Road Creation : Building Powerful Assets
Watch High Definition Training Videos For The Visual Effects Industry Instantly From Anywhere In The World.

Curitiba, PR, Brazil November 25th, 2009 — cmiVFX | cmiStudios launches a brand new video for SideFX Software's Houdini application. This video is the first in a series of in-depth videos related to procedural man made city elements! The lecture presents a variety of approaches and techniques to create a single procedural road system. These videos explain all the information you need in depth and to the topics extent.  We will also be including discount bundles of our videos in the future to help save additional money to our customers. When it comes to high end CG and VFX training, there is only once choice… cmiVFX!

SideFX Houdini - Procedural Road Creation : Building Powerful Assets
http://cmivfx.com/SideFX_Houdini_Training/road_generation/default.aspx [cmivfx.com]

Creating the basic shapes
When creating procedural models you want to keep the controls simple, but as powerful as possible. Learn how to build the basic shapes for the road using the tools of Houdini and how to maintain procedural control over them. Reconstruct the shapes to get clean geometry. Proper measurement of shapes is really important but can hinder you in your modeling process. We’ll guide you through the normalization of shapes to keep the procedural control of measurement, so it is easy to redefine the dimension of your shapes. We show how to use variables in combination with transformation tools to automate that important process. Use the powerful preset option in the nodes to dramatically speed up your productivity in Houdini.

Building the road shape
Optimized geometry is always very important, we don’t want to waist memory and performance on useless geometry compromising the performance of your video game or film pipeline. We’ll show how to optimize the division of the road path shape, fine-tuning it that the most optimal division of the road is being reached without compromising the curvature quality of the road. Only controlling the road-path to create a complete road? You’ll learn in detail how to use the sweep-tool to create the road profile along the road path and how to control its heading, pitching and banking.

Creating UV’s
A procedural model without UV’s looses much of its intended power. Creating proper UV’s can be very time consuming are therefore really important to tackle as soon as possible, especially since it will become much harder to create UV’s in a procedural way the further you are in the modeling process. You’ll learn how to apply UV’s in various ways, their implications, how to apply materials onto geometry and even how to use image files directly from internet into Houdini. We’ll show the difference between vertex UV’s and point UV’s and you’ll see different solutions to solve unwanted effects such as UV wrapping along the seams.

Preparing the graph for a digital asset
A procedure is almost rendered worthless if it cannot be simplified or collapsed into a single function. Repackaging, recombining your previous effort is the raw power of procedural modeling, allowing you to work at an ever increasing speed with more freedom and flexibility.  Here we’ll show you how to gradually prepare your graph to become a digital asset by extending its functionality to be able to work with multiple road paths. Using expressions you will learn how to create optimal UV’s procedurally independent from the road lengths. 

Extending the flexibility of the digital asset
Just like it is really important to get UV’s as soon as possible, so is it for groups just as important. Here we’ll show how to use a carve tool “in a procedural way of course” to extract the right pieces and give proper names using the group node. You’ll learn in detail how to make all UV’s working procedurally for multiple profile shapes using expressions and UV transform tools. The capping of the swept road and the UV’ing of those caps is all made procedural in order to make the digital asset more robust.

Creating the digital asset
Finally putting everything into a digital asset and with it extending the powerful toolset you have to your disposal. We’ll cover in great detail on how to properly create a library of tools, using various input ports of the nodes and making it so that the nodes can determine automatically which functionality to use depending on the number of connected nodes. Now that we have group names in the road profile we show you how to transfer those names using expressions and group nodes to the final geometry.

Creating a basic interface
What is a digital asset without an interface? That’s right, A Ferrari without a steering wheel! Here we see how we can start creating interfaces in Houdini and connecting its parameters with the functions inside the digital asset. We’ll cover in this chapter how to make a drop down menu that allows creating different segment names by using switch nodes, new expressions and the expressions you have learned in previous parts. Are there too many buttons on the interface that are occasionally useful? You will learn how to make a cleaner interface by graying out elements that depending on the settings.

Making the digital asset fully independent
Sharing the tools you have created amongst your colleagues is one of the noblest acts of charity in life! They will worship you for saving their weekends. Learn how to make your digital assets completely independent by encapsulating all the relevant data. We’ll show methods on how to copy whole parts of interfaces and how to bring their functionality to a higher level of control. You will learn how to organize your digital asset in the tab-menu and how to create reference nodes.

Finalizing the digital asset
The whole graph inside the digital asset is becoming really big now, learn methods and strategies how to keep an overview so that you are able to handle the most complex graphs. They will also help you colleagues if they need to quickly understand the graphs you are building. We’ve solved UV seams previously, but solving those for enclosed paths is a whole different ballgame. See how you can solve these problems by thinking out of the box. 

This video is available today at the cmiVFX store. cmiVFX Video Player Online Store http://cmivfx.com/store/Browse.aspx?Category=11 [cmivfx.com]

About the Author:
Kim Goossens is a 38 years old belgian CG-artist who is working as a freelancer and CG-instructor with a long history in CG-graphics starting back at 1989 He became quite known for his creation of the GIRL later adopted by DAZ3D. He is currently teaching Houdini procedural modeling for games at the IGAD program at the NHTV University of Applied Sciences. While working on various game projects and commercials both as Art-director and technical artist, he gained a profound knowledge of tools such as Maya, Max, Zbrush, Modo, shake and Houdini. His biggest passion has always been to research strategies to increase production and quality, which has led him to research procedural modeling and naturally, be hired by cmiVFX. 

About cmiVFX
cmiVFX is the leader in High Definition Video Training for the Visual Effects Community. To test drive the new cmiVFX TVOD © system, visit http://www.cmivfx.com/cmi_vod.html [cmivfx.com] For additional information about cmiVFX, visit www.cmivfx.com.
© 2009 cmiVFX | cmiStudios.  All rights reserved.
Product Director and Recruiter at cmiVFX.com
…………………………………………………………
DIGITAL SPARTAN
marcondes.tv
41 posts
It seems a nice tutorial - but where is the final?

Use the Powerful procedural Road Assets to create and render a realistic road - or is this not possible with this asset

cmiVFX: VFX means integrated CG in live action footage - i can't find this on your Site in any Houdini tutorial?
258 posts
I have gone through almost all of the CMI training including this one and find them to be very professional and all to be worth the price of admission. As far as tutorial training goes I find CMI to produce higher than average quality and if you can not extrapolate how to use the information you learn maybe you should seek less challenging subject matter.

s
41 posts
Yes, the tutorials are very professional, but i'm newbie to Houdini and just a little confused what the sense of this asset out of playing with the sliders?

The tutorial use a Photo of many real Roads and this suggests to create realistic roads with this asset, so my question was, is an CG-artists be able to use this asset to render realistic roads for VFX?

And my other indirect suggestion of this was to make the 2nd Tutorial-part and show how to create the final real render result starting by using this asset

Otherwise this a theoretical video for looking inside procedural modeling in Houdini without any useful output.

thanks
-robert-
349 posts
Procedural modelling is more than useful output. From what I read this is not a rendering tutorial, nor does it say or mention that it is. Realistic models do not have to be rendered to make them belivable. A slight gift of forsight regarding meshes will tell you if the end result will be realistic.
VFX is a lot wider than simply “VFX means integrated CG in live action footage”. Visual effects reside in many mediums. Look at Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. That is not a live action film, yet it is rammed full of visual effects (from what Ive seen on the trailer, not managed to see it yet ).

You say you are new to Houdini. If that is the case dont write off things that you dont understand. Try to understand what is happening and put those motions into your own work and make some nice visuals.
I happen to like CMIVFX Houdini content. A damn site more advanced than some training materials out there, which is nice to be able to access.
41 posts
ragupasta
You say you are new to Houdini. If that is the case dont write off things that you dont understand. Try to understand what is happening and put those motions into your own work and make some nice visuals.

Hm, its not my intension.

I will figure out at the moment - is Houdini right for me (a “normal” 3D Application User ) and what Power is needed from scratch to ONE final VFX-Filmframe :? and i compare this with my current workflow….

So will close this here.

-r-
678 posts
Eagle66
I will figure out at the moment - is Houdini right for me .

My advice, start from free tutorials that you can find here or at 3dbuzz (and I think Cardan has some free tuts to watch) before you decide to buy tutorials from other sites.
789 posts
The tutorial looks great, I was however equally intrigued by the authors press photo though :-)

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1637&Itemid=66 [sidefx.com]

Cheers,
Koen
224 posts
I was considering buying the 12 Video Value Package, however I am wondering if some of the other videos are very old - are they for versions of Houdini before version 9. Can anyone verify that they are all version 9 / 10?
Patrick
110 posts
phtj
I was considering buying the 12 Video Value Package, however I am wondering if some of the other videos are very old - are they for versions of Houdini before version 9. Can anyone verify that they are all version 9 / 10?

There's a few of them that are from version 8.2,the City Gen and L-Systems, each of them translate no problem from my usage. Mainly just UI color and icon change, there probably is a usability change here and there, line instead of using the Delete/Copy function to loop various primitive/point groups, you could use a ForEach loop sop now, but that's a bit more advanced ;-)
349 posts
Just to add…Not sure if it is still on there at CMI, but there was an old tutorial by David Gary that flows particles along an l-system (been a few years since I watched it). But he uses the param() and that has been superseeded by the stamp()

Ratmann
There's a few of them that are from version 8.2,the City Gen and L-Systems, each of them translate no problem from my usage. Mainly just UI color and icon change, there probably is a usability change here and there, line instead of using the Delete/Copy function to loop various primitive/point groups, you could use a ForEach loop sop now, but that's a bit more advanced ;-)

Im still a sucker for the delete/copy method

FYI
19 posts
ragupasta
VFX is a lot wider than simply “VFX means integrated CG in live action footage”. Visual effects reside in many mediums. Look at Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs. That is not a live action film, yet it is rammed full of visual effects (from what Ive seen on the trailer, not managed to see it yet ).

Wrong, Visual Effects are computer generated imagery that can be pass as a real action incorporated into live footage or totatly replaced.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is an animated movie, not a vfx movie.
41 posts
TAVO
ragupasta
Wrong, Visual Effects are computer generated imagery that can be pass as a real action incorporated into live footage or totatly replaced.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is an animated movie, not a vfx movie.

My first question was the sense of this procedural Road Assets or it's possible to create a final realitic render frame with this and not a discussion of the correct definition of VFX
5 posts
i usually don´t react on this kind of posts and don´t wanna sound rude now but do you really think that modeling, texturing and rendering is senseless until you put all that together for some real footage integration? and if you think so may i ask you what´s the reason for beefing about the cmivfx tutorial. i have not seen it but i´m sure its well done and worth the price. and if procedural modeling is not what you are interested in, just don´t by it. it´s quite easy!

btw. proceduralism is a bit more than “playing with sliders”. i gess you are not too long in the business
41 posts
petzibaerr
….but do you really think that modeling, texturing and rendering is senseless until you put all that together for some real footage integration?

Sure yes

Modeling -> Texturing -> Lightning -> Rendering -> compositing, (perhaps matchmoving) what else :shock:
–> http://eat3d.com/livecg1 [eat3d.com]

and if you think so may i ask you what´s the reason for beefing about the cmivfx tutorial. i have not seen it but i´m sure its well done and worth the price. and if procedural modeling is not what you are interested in, just don´t by it. it´s quite easy!

I don't know why so rude I have a simple short question in my first post:

Is the Powerful procedural Road Assets able to create and render a realistic road/roads in a Landscape?

Sorry, by the way: for Houdini does not exist any Book, and outside a Filmschool you only have this tutorials to learn Houdini. And there are not any tutorial showing real footage integration and to get this needed high quality Renders are it's quite different to all other 3d App….

-r-
  • Quick Links